Discuss New black floor tiles, grout not fully black in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

R

Richard Payne

image.jpg
Hello,

I have had a tiler do my bathroom walls and floor. The tile work is good but the grout is not black as it is supposed to be.

The grout used was ultra colour plus black

I've read around on here and from what I gather this is efflorescence. I was told by my tiler to clean the floor with water to get the dirt out caused by the other restoration work going on in the house. He said the floor did not need sealing and I should try using HG shine restoring tile cleaner. This hasn't worked.

I'd love some advice on this as I don't know what I'm doing and my tiler certainly doesn't seem to.

Many thanks in advance,
Richard

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
image.jpg

As above. Lots of white stuff might not be grout if you've had other trades wondering around on it and they haven't protected the floor themselves if it's a bathroom/loo they're using or whatever.

You just want to use a grout colourant on it.

You tend to find black is usually more a charcoal anyway. I've never seen a deep black grout.

Is it tiled to a wooden floor of some form? Seems to be Lino in the other room there?

R

Richard Payne

Might be wrong but looking at your pic seems to me especially round the edges there's white grout been dropped on the floor then washed over turning your black grout grey, did your tiler grout the whole bathroom walls n floor same day?

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, he pretty much did the whole thing in a day. Up close it doesn't look like white grout, it's more like a white dust, a dust unlike normal dust that I can't get rid of.

R

Richard Payne

View attachment 74992

As above. Lots of white stuff might not be grout if you've had other trades wondering around on it and they haven't protected the floor themselves if it's a bathroom/loo they're using or whatever.

You tend to find black is usually more a charcoal anyway. I've never seen a deep black grout.

Is it tiled to a wooden floor of some form? Seems to be Lino in the other room there?

Hi,

I'll try that in an area, thanks for the advice. He put board down before tiling of some sort.

R

Richard Payne

Ive never seen a black grout not got lighter on floors after time.
But its probably dust, try a stiff tooth brush in the joints with just a bit of water see if that cleans it.
A word of asvice though, clean the tooth brush after really well, you don't want the black grout on your teeth when u use it again ;)

I have tried cleaning it a couple of times, not with a toothbrush but with a cloth.

Are there any products I could use to aid the process?

R

Richard Payne

View attachment 74992

Should I clean the grout with anything special beforehand? And should I deal it with anything after? Is there a particular colorant to go for?

Thanks!

Glynn

TF
LEYLAND
A lot of the problems with dark grout can be traced back to washing off to soon has this will wash out the pigments, less pigments less colour. Though there is no set time for washing off the rule of thumb is to be patient and let the grout firm up in the joints, this could be up to an hour if the conditions are cold, then wash off using as little water has possible. Also when mixing the grout it needs to be a thick paste not a runny liquid, on the packaging there is always a water to powder mix ratio which should not be exceeded.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
I was on the understanding there was other renovation work going on, so it just hadn't been covered properly by the other tradesmen or whatever?

Seems to be flecks of all sorts on the tiles.

Perhaps need some more photos? Close ups and stuff?

But the "tiler" doesn't appear to be an actual tiler. Seen the cutting?!? Shocking stuff.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Too much water used here for starters. I've used Mapei Black before without any trouble, but its not a pure black, just a very very dark grey. This particular one in the pic is my normal grout manufacturer I use, Benfer. It's blacker than black!!!

Attachments

• Yark3.jpg
    504.3 KB · Views: 61

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Too much water used here for starters. I've used Mapei Black before without any trouble, but its not a pure black, just a very very dark grey. This particular one in the pic is my normal grout manufacturer I use, Benfer. It's blacker than black!!!
That's a nice black.

Reply to New black floor tiles, grout not fully black in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
We have just laid an outdoor patio and path using black limestone (now wishing I’d perhaps...
Replies
Views
Hi ! I’m a homeowner without any tiles related knowledge. So recently i use this hard chemical...
Replies
Views
Tiling my en-suite was part of a larger build project. The builder subcontracted the tiler who...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB