Discuss New Floor Tiles Lifting in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com.

J

Johnboy 2

Hi guys, hope you can help. I have been having a bathroom refitted by a local plumber who also fixed the ceramic floor tiles, around 45no. x 33cm x 33cm. After just a few weeks the grout is cracking in an area and a couple of tiles seem to be coming loose. I am a joiner and laid a new chipboard floor, I know this it not an ideal base but there was no choice as the old one was shot. The joists were fine, usual set up but I even supported each one between sleeper walls to ensure they were solid as possible, packing straight. The 22mm flooring grade chipboard was glued together, screwed well down and covered with 10mm resin bonded external ply, also screwed well down. This floor is as solid as this type of floor can be. I go on about this because I am sure this is not the problem. The tiles need to come up, any advise will be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Subscribed
Co.Durham
It could simply be the adhesive type or incorrect bedding ... If you lift some tiles and post a pic of what's underneath..

Hard to tell seeing what you do...

Also the ply isn't really the correct thickness but if the deflection was zero , this doesn't explain what it failed so quickly , hence me mentioning adhesive type.

J

Just Rizzle

if your tiling onto ply theres only one addy I would use that's bal flex 2part addy had to take a floor up 3 weeks ago which was stuck down with this addy took over3 hrs with sds to remove 3 mts sq its a rubber based addy
but to be honest haven't used for several years and not sure if bal still do it, was very expensive addy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
The same with Ray. Fastflex all day. Rubber crum adhesive designed I believe to tile London Underground due to the vibrations. Tiles still haven't moved decades on.

I'm surprised even a sds got them up I bet it made a right mess.

Some 2 part cement based adhesives are pretty good these days by the looks of things but you could tile curtains with Fastflex and the tiles would stay put.

Welcome aboard. Please register!

J

johnboy 2

if your tiling onto ply theres only one addy I would use that's bal flex 2part addy had to take a floor up 3 weeks ago which was stuck down with this addy took over3 hrs with sds to remove 3 mts sq its a rubber based addy
but to be honest haven't used for several years and not sure if bal still do it, was very expensive addy.

Thanks, all I can fine is Bal Supercover Rapid Flex, states ideal where vibration, underfloor heating, shrinkage or deflexion is possible. Would this be suitable?.
Cheers

J

johnboy 2

Images attached of first few lifted

Attachments

• Tile problem 1.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Tile problem 2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 78
J

Just Rizzle

Do you think it's an adhesive problem?.
with out a doughty m8 the addys sticking to the tiles but not the ply . I would remove all the tiles take up the ply and ether stick and screew hardy backer board or use a decouljing method, ie ditra matting
if your a trades man im sure you could relay this your self especially as there coming un easily. may be using the same tiles if you remove the addy from the back of the tiles there already cut to shape . replace ply with h/b board . then re stick with a s1 addy get a 8 mm trowel and antie s your bob.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester

The adhesive is called bal single part fast flex it was a 2 part adhesive but you just mix it with water now.
It will still stick wings to an aeroplane though and is very flexible.

J

johnboy 2

with out a doughty m8 the addys sticking to the tiles but not the ply . I would remove all the tiles take up the ply and ether stick and screew hardy backer board or use a decouljing method, ie ditra matting
if your a trades man im sure you could relay this your self especially as there coming un easily. may be using the same tiles if you remove the addy from the back of the tiles there already cut to shape . replace ply with h/b board . then re stick with a s1 addy get a 8 mm trowel and antie s your bob.

Can't take up the ply without stripping all the new bathroom as in image.

Attachments

• Bathroom ***.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 57

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Get nifty with a saw, you can cut around the bath and perimeter, and then lift the loo.

Alternatively, I'm wondering if you can pull up the tiles and then cut wedi board and screw to the dodgy ply? Not sure if that meets regulations and whatnot but I'm wondering if it would work, maybe the professional lads could confirm?

Reply to New Floor Tiles Lifting in the Best Floor Tiles area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
hello Folks, its a tiny area. 1.8 m2. Joists are solid 3 inch wide. Area is upstairs close to...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB