Discuss New full city and guilds wall and floor tiling qualification approved in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

Max@ableskills

Re: New full city and guilds wall and floor tiling qualification appro

I.C.A, that takes me back. We used to deliver these but they were then replaced with the Cskills construction diploma. We still offer the construction diploma but we have produced this tiling qualification so as it is more specific to tiling only.

The basis of the old I.C.A unit 147, identifying and preparing internal and external background surfaces to receive wall and floor tiling is incorporated into this new tiling qualification

M

Max@ableskills

Taking into account the GLA for this level 1 qualification it would be almost impossible to cover every single aspect of background preparation outlined in ICA 147.

To cover every aspect then the construction diploma route at level 2 would be a better bet.

What is covered is the learner being able to identify and prepare/repair the most common substrates that they would encounter at a domestic dwelling (internal and external) and demonstrating underpinning knowledge from classroom exercises knowledge of all the substrates listed in the specification of ICA 147.

As well as classroom exercises from our instructors, learners have the option of joining in on a BAL workshop which we have here regularly at our training centre. BAL reps come in and take a group of our learners and discuss as well as conduct practical demonstrations of adhesive/grout selections in connection with tile/substrate variations.

M

Max@ableskills

Had a few phone calls and email enquiries recently about ournew city and guilds tiling course.
We have learners already enrolled onto the city and guilds4555 wall and floor tiling course and uptake has been pretty good.
However I think to avoid confusion and to clarify I shouldadd the following:-
This course can ONLY be undertaken at Ableskills as it is “centrelocked” to us or in other words exclusive for us to deliver.
The main reasons that it is locked to us are as follows:-
1. It has been written by ourselves and as such wehold exclusivity on the product.

2. Ableskills has been approved to deliver amultitude of city and guilds courses for nearly 10 years (as well asConstruction skills NVQs). To be able to deliver city and guilds coursestraining centres/colleges are subjected to external verification by theawarding body.

What that means is External verifiers fromthe awarding body check that what you are delivering as a centre/college is inline with current national occupational standards, specific assessment criteriaand that learning outcomes are being met.
External verifiers also check that thestaff delivering the training are vocationally qualified and are A1 assessors.
They also sample at random learners’portfolios to see if they have been internally verified by centre/collegestaff.

As you can see centres/colleges have tofollow strict guidelines to be able to deliver qualification courses. NOT ALLTRAINING CENTRES DO THIS!

With our experience in delivering city andguilds courses and as there is no current city and guilds tiling courseavailable, we approached the awarding body with the intention of creating a tilingcourse meeting all occupational standards whilst being backed by the awardingbody.

After ten months of hard work I personallyformalised a course.

Several draft documents and revisions were placedin front of the city and guilds committee until it finally gained approval.

On a personal note I feel that afterworking in the industry for the past 25 years including 10 years’ experience teaching this fantastic trade that I am fairlywell qualified to put this course together although I am happy to admit that weall learn new things every day and I am certainly no exception to the rule.

So there you have it guys and girls (Rant over)hope that clears things up for everyone.

Finally since formulating this course Ihave accepted a personal invitation by city and guilds to work with them on aconsultancy basis in developing further courses including Levels 1,2 and 3 inwall and floor tiling with the intention of the courses being nationallyrecognised. These courses are likely to be months if not years in development.

Nothing would give me more pleasure than tosee this trade fully recognised by City and Guilds.

So until such time C&G 4555 is what wehave.

T

The D

Had a few phone calls and email enquiries recently about ournew city and guilds tiling course.
We have learners already enrolled onto the city and guilds4555 wall and floor tiling course and uptake has been pretty good.
However I think to avoid confusion and to clarify I shouldadd the following:-
This course can ONLY be undertaken at Ableskills as it is “centrelocked” to us or in other words exclusive for us to deliver.
The main reasons that it is locked to us are as follows:-
1. It has been written by ourselves and as such wehold exclusivity on the product.

2. Ableskills has been approved to deliver amultitude of city and guilds courses for nearly 10 years (as well asConstruction skills NVQs). To be able to deliver city and guilds coursestraining centres/colleges are subjected to external verification by theawarding body.

What that means is External verifiers fromthe awarding body check that what you are delivering as a centre/college is inline with current national occupational standards, specific assessment criteriaand that learning outcomes are being met.
External verifiers also check that thestaff delivering the training are vocationally qualified and are A1 assessors.
They also sample at random learners’portfolios to see if they have been internally verified by centre/collegestaff.

As you can see centres/colleges have tofollow strict guidelines to be able to deliver qualification courses. NOT ALLTRAINING CENTRES DO THIS!

With our experience in delivering city andguilds courses and as there is no current city and guilds tiling courseavailable, we approached the awarding body with the intention of creating a tilingcourse meeting all occupational standards whilst being backed by the awardingbody.

After ten months of hard work I personallyformalised a course.

Several draft documents and revisions were placedin front of the city and guilds committee until it finally gained approval.

On a personal note I feel that afterworking in the industry for the past 25 years including 10 years’ experience teaching this fantastic trade that I am fairlywell qualified to put this course together although I am happy to admit that weall learn new things every day and I am certainly no exception to the rule.

So there you have it guys and girls (Rant over)hope that clears things up for everyone.

Finally since formulating this course Ihave accepted a personal invitation by city and guilds to work with them on aconsultancy basis in developing further courses including Levels 1,2 and 3 inwall and floor tiling with the intention of the courses being nationallyrecognised. These courses are likely to be months if not years in development.

Nothing would give me more pleasure than tosee this trade fully recognised by City and Guilds.

So until such time C&G 4555 is what wehave.
and i have maybe i will see you at the next meeting :smilewinkgrin:

Reply to New full city and guilds wall and floor tiling qualification approved in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Replies
Views
M
FULL TIME - Wall & Floor tiler positions X 5 Guaranteed long term careers for right applicants...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
M
Hi everyone. If anybody is interested in gaining a qualification in tiling, Ableskills now...
Replies
Views
Max@ableskills
M
R
Could you help young people learn skills for employment in construction? PT TUTOR to teach a...
Replies
Views
Rebecca Bowden
R
P
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
New full city and guilds wall and floor tiling qualification approved
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.