Discuss new member asks advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

N

northerntile

We are about to lay 100m2 floor tiles onto a tarmac semi dry fibre screed. This was laid in December and left to dry for 6 weeks. The heating was then turned on gradually over 3 weeks. Expansion joints were formed in the screed splitting the floor into approx 4 . Expansion joints also across doorways and around periphery. There are just a couple of hairline cracks. Part of floor is to be in porcelain rest in limestone. Have been advised by several tilers that uncoupling membrane is not necessary just expansion joints above joints in screed. Any help would be welcome. Finally how should expansion jointsbe formed?

Thanks in advance

S

Spud

have you considered the, cost/effect ratio, I am coming to the conclusion that spending an extra £1250 on uncoupling matting / labour for a job like this may be a waste of money,the expansion joints placed correctly will deal with the coeffiecient of expansion between the tile and substrate, your money would be better spent buying extra tiles so if you were unlucky enough for a tile to crack you have spares to replace them, a couple of spare boxes of each will cost less than £200 far cheaper than the cost of the uncoupling matting

Reply to new member asks advice in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

F
I have an approximately 30sqm kitchen floor to re-tile after lifting cracked tiles. House new...
Replies
Views
White Room
W
F
Hi All, You have been really helpful before when it came to tiling my bathroom with limestone...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D
R
great forum people almost to much information to read! Anyway i would very much appreciate some...
Replies
Views
S
Hi guys, need some advice on leveling a kitchen floor. job is 8 square metre floor to tile with...
Replies
Views
K
Morning people! In a few weeks time I have a new build house to tile. The total area is about...
Replies
Views
CptPugWash
C

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
new member asks advice
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.