Discuss New Member Intro in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mickp

Hi,

I have been cruising this forum for a few weeks now looking for and finding loads of advice. I am about to embark on my second ever floor tiling project which is about 30 sqm kitchen/dining room/hall with wood look porcelain from Porcelenosa.

My previous floor tiling project was a bit winged as it was a rented property and the landlord didn't want to replace the disgusting worn out lino in the kitchen so I set about tiling it in the quickest and cheapest way possible. I didn't get advice off anyone and struggled through it but to be honest the end result was reasonable although more down to luck than skill and knowledge I admit.

This time I am tiling my own place and I want it to look awesome and last for a long long time so I have been searching for info on everything from techniques and tools to adhesives and grout and have found loads of useful info that has helped me make some pretty well informed decisions that could have otherwise gone less well. I also stumbled across my local friendly tiling equipment supplier through this forum - Trade Tiler Which happens to be about a mile from my house. Dave has been really helpful in supplying me with everything I needed and giving loads of great advice.

So now all the skirting boards are off the architraves are trimmed and I was just about ready to start when I realised that my floor is not quite as level as I assumed it to be. After giving it a good surveying and laying out a load of tiles I have realised I have an undulation that raises up by about 4 or 5 mm over a meter - really annoying as it seems pretty good everywhere else. So its time to have a bit of a think and maybe get the chisel out before I dive in and start sticking tiles down. Oh well the joys of doing it yourself.

So anyway thanks for all the great advice and well done on a great informative forum.

I am sure I will be posting for some help soon

Mick

M

mickp

Thanks everyone. Well I spent a good 7 hours today carefully removing the hump with an sds chisel. Could have probably done it quicker but as it's a new build I can't help but feel like everything is a bit fragile so went very gently. Thought about slc but decided it was overkill as the hump was only over about 2sqm and rest of floor is good. Mrs P is made up with all the dust that is everywhere now. I will be cleaning that up before I mix any adhesive me thinks.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to New Member Intro in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
DIY Tiling; Advice for DIY Tilers So long story short, I have just purchased my first house and...
Replies
Views
Hi I am thinking of training to gain city and guilds on weekends I’m just wondering is there...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB