Discuss New member looking for advise in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tommy harry

Hi,

We are just starting out having our bathroom refitted and would like some advise on the wall tiling.

We are to supply materials and are thinking of 500 x 200 crematic tiles with some 300 x 300 feature mosaic vertical bands.

The issue is the adhesive, waterproofing and grout as the tiler will have a number of surfaces he has to work on...

1 wall is an existing skimmed and painted block wall.
1 wall is a exisitng skimmed painted plasterboard wall
2 walls will be new = just plasterboarded - the junction of these 2 walls will be where the shower is to go.

The shower will need waterproofing - so a tanking kit needed...
What do i need to do to the existing walls before work starts and is there one adhesive out there that will work on all of the above surfaces or do I need to get him different adhesives for each surface.

Many thanks

Somerset
If the tiles are more than 8mm thick I would recommend removing the plaster and putting up tile backer boards. Thats not a massive job to do - about 1 days work in most bathrooms, and costs about £11 per square meter to buy the 12.5mm tile backer board. Otherwise, if tiles 8mm or less, fine to tile on walls, but recommend scraping paint off and sealing plaster with acrylic primer.

The new plasterboard can take tiles up to about 12mm thick, but not the "skimmed" boards - the plaster falls off

Last edited:
C

Colour Republic

I would ask your tiler what his preference and advice would be.

I understand you have agreed to buy the materials but if your tiler just said 'you get the adhesive and grout' without any sort of further guidence on what products to buy and how much, I would be worried!

The members here are more than willing to advise you but I think most will tell you they prefer to supply the materials, as it means we can select products we have faith in and know they work rather than let the customer supply the adhesive and grouts and run the risk of them picking some of the many poor products out there.

Of course it seems you are doing your research and want to supply the best to ensure a good job but it seems your tiler doesn't want any input??

Or have I got this wrong and you plan on getting all the materials then find a tiler?

Reply to New member looking for advise in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Moved this as I incorrectly posted in the Pro forum! Hi all, Finally getting to lay the tiles in...
Replies
Views
I have recently stripped the bathroom. I have 2 walls in non water area. One wall is new...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
New member looking for advise
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.