Discuss New Member. Need help with new bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

J

jim11115

Hi everyone.

First post here and hoping for some good advice!

I am a DIYer who has bought a wreck of a house, I need advice on tiling a bathroom. The main area I need help is the floor. I am replacing the current plywood with new 18mm ply (measures more like 20mm) The original stuff was 12mm - which seemed a bit lightweight to me and as the floor joists are sloping quite a bit I am going to put down firrings to level up the floor joists before fixing the plywood. It's an old house (circa 1910) that has moved, but there has not been any movement since work was done on this and nextdoor house (last two in a terrace) around the late 1980s. My questions are -

1 / Is my plan for leveling the floor and the type of plywood ok?

2/ I am planning to use 60cm x 60cm porcelain tiles on the floor and one wall (wall will be mostly ply - to box in pipes etc) what type of adhesive and grout should I use on the floor and do I need to put down and kind of barrier between the tiles and the ply?

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Your method for levelling the floor sounds fine although I might be tempted to go down the route of cement backer over the chipboard.

The one issue you will need to consider though is the engineering. 1900 through to about 1925 saw lots of changes to building practice. When you say it was built bout 1910 the joist size may be relatively small. If there is too much weight on the floor it could cause issues later on with deflection and worse still creep.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to New Member. Need help with new bathroom floor in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hello I'm new to tiling my first flooring job it's 42sqm in 600x 200 floor tiles (wood effect)...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB