Discuss New Plywood floor - do I need to glue it to joists? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gez777

Hi, I am redoing my upstairs bathroom and would like to use tiles for the floor (total tiling area approx 4 sq Metres). I will be replacing the 18mm plain chipboard!!! the original builder used, with 18mm WBP Ply - suitably sealed and with additional noggins on any unsupported joins. I know 25mm Ply would be the recomendation, but height limitations mean I need to go with 18mm max. I would like to tile over this with 600mmx 400mm porcelain tiles and will be using a flexible adhesive (BAL single part Rapidset Flexible or single part Fastflex, in this case would the Fastflex be the best option?) and wonder if i should glue the sheets of ply flooring to the joists? Is this how it's usually done? I will also be sealing the ply joins with fibreglass tape, is there anything else I need to be aware of? Many thanks for any advice.

G

gez777

Sorry, i meant would it be a good idea to glue the plywood to the joists in addition to screwing the sheets down (am planning to use 4 x 45mm Turbogolds) and while I am here, what centres would be usual, a screw every 150mm sound about right? I thought about Ditra or Durabase but my problem is that the upstairs hall is carpeted and it looks like I will be lucky to get away with the 18mm ply tiled - let alone adding any more height - as i really don't want any kind of step up into the bathroom :-( Thanks!

G

gez777

Thanks, obvious - but easy to fall foul of! I once had a loose floorboard so i knocked a short nail in to stop it squeeking. That didn't hold it so I pulled up the board to redo all the fixings and found my short nail had just grazed a 15mm copper pipe that some previous genius had ran across the joist just under the floor board! So much for a two inch 'safety zone'

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to New Plywood floor - do I need to glue it to joists? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I want to tile over a completely new floor. New floor joists have been installed with...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I’m ripping out a failed existing tiled floor. Tiles had not been back buttered so...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
New Plywood floor - do I need to glue it to joists?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.