Discuss New Rail Saw in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

gamma38

TF
Bedford
As the title says, i'm going to invest in a rail saw and i was wondering how many people have them, how good they are etc?? It needs to be able to mitre as well, and be used wet or dry with reasonable dust extraction. Up to now i've only looked at the Flex CS60 and the Marcrist STC185. The Rubi is already out of the running as it won't mitre. Cheers for any replies.

gamma38

TF
Bedford
Hey Marc. Yes I thought about doing that. I still might. I have spoken to them before about there blades for the festool. They are smaller in diameter from memory so you lose some depth of cut. I will be doing a fair bit of mitreing using some thicker materials so i need a reasonable depth.

S

StevieBoy

As the title says, i'm going to invest in a rail saw and i was wondering how many people have them, how good they are etc?? It needs to be able to mitre as well, and be used wet or dry with reasonable dust extraction. Up to now i've only looked at the Flex CS60 and the Marcrist STC185. The Rubi is already out of the running as it won't mitre. Cheers for any replies.

I don't particularly see the need for one. I've used one, yes but they are very messy and you can only really use them outside and for what? They don't do much more than a wet cutter, a manual rubi or a dry cutting blade in a mini grinder.

The last one I tried on some really hard porcelain tiles from Porcelanosa was a Rubi one and it was rubbish, it cut the tile 3mm shorter on one end that's how good they are.

Why do you want to be mitring? Plenty of trims around nowadays.

S

Spud

I have a marcrist one I will lend you if you like
The saw is good and has plenty of power , it fits on to the bosch fsn rails
Don't expect a great result mitring porcelain with a rail saw even of you clamp your work piece and clamp the rail tightly the porcelain will always push the blade away from its self you will be far better just using a grinder and wet sponge and doing it free hand then finishing with a polisher
You need the clamps as well as the saw and the rail and you should also buy a 15 ltr pressure spray bottle like the diamond drilling guys have OX tools make one and they cost about 40 quid to buy , you need to cut the cuts half way through the tile and then finish the cut on the second or third pass to get the best results in terms of accuracy

S

Spud

not a large format wet saw for stone or big porcelain tiles , some of the jobs in London are in mansion blocks and you cant the the big saws in the buildings , the rail got gouged when i tried to mitre with it the first day I got it , the water hose attached comes off and the vacuum hose fits straight into the hole so if you have the correct filters and a powerful vacuum it is dust free

20150705_162916.jpg 20150705_162921.jpg 20150705_164823.jpg 20150705_163406.jpg

gamma38

TF
Bedford
I mitre because I think it gives a better finish than a lot of trims. Looks better etc. A rail saw gives you unlimited length of cut. Unlike a wet saw. There are many advantages, I have a bridge saw also. Capable of cutting over a mtr. Not very portable though. Another advantage of the rail saw.

gamma38

TF
Bedford
Cheers for the info Gary. I must admit I was seriously looking at the Marcrist. Have you heard anything about the Flex?? Do you think you could get better results doing the mitres with larger flanges or would it still do it?? The Marcrist is a lot cheaper that's what's making it to the top of my list at the moment. But if the Flex is a better tool I would stump up the extra and go for that one.

C

Concrete guy

The CS60 is probably too much tool for the average tiler, it's a stonemason's saw.

I used to run two to cut up 3000mm x 2400mm x 30mm granite slabs, and for that use they are absolutely ideal and very versatile.

Think of them as a hand held replacement for a stonemasons bridge saw (not a tile saw, a 4m long bridge saw).

We also offer blades that are modified to fit the Festool TS55 and similar rail plunge saws. We offer a 160mm blade which is actually one of our turbo flange porcelain blades with the flange removed and a reduced bore.
These are used mainly to cut Bushboard M Stone, Max Top and most Quartz worktops and tiles.

These work dry and can have vacuum extraction attached to them. They're ideal for huge format tiles where it isn't practical or possible to use a huge bridge saw on site.

We also offer a segmented blade for the festool to cut granite and a turbo blade that will be suitable for marble and limestone.

We went to Verona yesterday specifically to find manufacturers of blades for Dekton and similar products, this is a particularly dense glass/porcelain slab material and very difficult to cut. We're hoping we can use these blades on some the absurdly hard porcelains that have appeared on the marked.

Feel free to ask for advice, I've used these tools.

The big issue you'll have with a Festool TS55 is you invalidate the warranty (in the UK) by using it to cut tile and stone .

Flex also offer a plunge saw - the CSE55T same tool as the Festool, but they support alternative uses for the machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spud

Cheers for the info Gary. I must admit I was seriously looking at the Marcrist. Have you heard anything about the Flex?? Do you think you could get better results doing the mitres with larger flanges or would it still do it?? The Marcrist is a lot cheaper that's what's making it to the top of my list at the moment. But if the Flex is a better tool I would stump up the extra and go for that one.
You can borrow it if you want to try it out, the marcrist blades have always had the reputation of wandering so with a decent blade it would probably mitre well ,I lent it to a friend who used it on a stone job in town , the firm he worked for also had a cs60 he said there was no difference in the performance of the saws and actually said he preferred the marcrist I haven't used the cs 60 myself

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Colour Republic

We also offer blades that are modified to fit the Festool TS55 and similar rail plunge saws. We offer a 160mm blade which is actually one of our turbo flange porcelain blades with the flange removed and a reduced bore.
These are used mainly to cut Bushboard M Stone, Max Top and most Quartz worktops and tiles.

I've been meaning to order some of these off you as it only occurred to me the other week that I could use those blades for the TS55 on tiles

Cutting these meter long tiles was alot of fun on the DW2400 :mad: Really wish they would have made the front rail on the bed removable

Reply to New Rail Saw in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

O
Is this it? Diamond cutting system DSC-AG 125 FH-Plus 769954 Looks impressive I must say, I'd...
Replies
Views
stefano
S
C
Hi I have 6 bathrooms to do with 900x330mm ceramic tiles 160m2 of 900x600mm limestone I''ve...
Replies
Views
Old Mod
O
W
Hi guys I have not managed on in a while with everything I have been doing over the last few...
Replies
Views
David - Tradetiler
D
I
Was having a thought today, is there any reason why the dewalt, or any other wet saw for that...
Replies
Views
DHTiling
D
The growing popularity of “Thin Porcelain Tile” Now that industry professionals have coined a...
Replies
Views
Rizzle from the Portizzle
R

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB