Discuss New to to tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
If you are going to do it, do it right. Don't become one of the thousands of plumbers who throw tiles up and make a right mess.

I'm a plumber/bathroom fitter but I know my limits, I don't touch natural stone. Ceramics and porcelain are the only tiles I fit in bathrooms, anything else is a tilers job.

I would retile your own bathroom or a family members for free and post pics on here and the guys will tell you if you're good enough to tile in someones house. But a tiling course is a must before you do anything, the prep work with tiling is unbelievable.

M

Mike

If you are going to do it, do it right. Don't become one of the thousands of plumbers who throw tiles up and make a right mess.

I'm a plumber/bathroom fitter but I know my limits, I don't touch natural stone. Ceramics and porcelain are the only tiles I fit in bathrooms, anything else is a tilers job.

I would retile your own bathroom or a family members for free and post pics on here and the guys will tell you if you're good enough to tile in someones house. But a tiling course is a must before you do anything, the prep work with tiling is unbelievable.
surely it's all a tilers job?

G

Gazebo

Good luck wotevaz,

You will find nearly all the knowledge on here with regards to every aspect of tiling (I did and I havent gone wrong yet.)

Be sure to use the correct product on the correct substrate for the correct tile(again i learnt nearly all of this from this wonderful forum)

Take your time on every single job and work cleanly.

Do not pay any attention to so called tilers you may bump into on site using pva or tiling onto 9mm plywood (they have been doing it for years and never had any problems.) (trust me there are quite a few out there)

Being a plumber myself I dont wear tight trousers or have a visible bum crack (maybe that is just a Tasmanian plumbers thing)

Do not be tempted to convince clients that a wonkey grout line or lipping floor is 'within tolerance' (I have heard this from several time served tilers)

If you are stuck post questions on here and you will get the best answers.(most of the time)
:smilewinkgrin:
Gary

G

Gazebo

tilers should tile plumbers should plumb,what makes you want to do both jobs?

Hi Brian

Can you Read and Write.?

Both of these useful skills are taught to us at very early stages and are far harder to learn than either plumbing or tiling. Yet most of the population manages to do both.

another example is driving a car and learning to ski. why do both.? surely a person cannot do both things. but many people would prove you wrong.

Gary.

T

Time's Ran Out

:welcome: and Good Luck.

On the Plumbers Forum I looked at 'once' there was some tough attitudes towards novices doing plumbing work and friendly banter can sometimes not type as it is meant to sound!
You've worked hard to get your business established and unless you can work with a tradesman tiler of your expected standard, then get involved and learn from the Best Tilers Forum around, and you will receive helpful advice.

Remember this Forum is not just for novices, Diy'ers, my next door neighbour, established Tilers but for anyone who is interested in the Trade of Tiling - so enjoy!

I for one look forward to answering some threads.

P.S. I have seen places to park my bike in Plumbers,Tilers and most building trades!

R

Rich

Well said TJ.

You have done the right thing coming here for info before you start. However before long you will realise that asking "any tips on tiling" is no different to me asking for "any tips on plumbing"... Where do you start? This forum has a universe of knowledge from some of the best tilers in the business so make good use of it, every job is different and each one needs a HUGE amount of prep work and understanding.

We are all standing by to answer any questions that you have :thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to New to to tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
New to to tiling
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.