Discuss New wet cutter for DIYer - Norton clipper TT200EM in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com.

D

dazzler9000

Hello,

I'm looking at tiling my bathroom next month. There will be a mixture of quartz, ceramic and glass mosaics.

I've narrowed my search down to the "Norton clipper TT200EM" or a cheap well reviewed "
Titan TTB336TCB" from screwfix.

I'm leaning towards the Norton as I guessing it's probably the better machine and I do intend on doing more tiling in the future.

Any advice chaps? Anything else I should be considering?

O

Old Mod

Brilliant, I'll send him a PM!!

Quick off topic question... when cutting a glass mosaic tile as the edges are stepped, would you use a wet saw for that or a tile scribe?
the Norton is a great little machine for money, loads of grunt. I use one when I'm short on space.
If your mosaic are meshed a wet cutter is prob not ideal. Mesh will prob distort if wet. You can use a grinder with dry blade or put a dry blade in your Norton.

D

dazzler9000

the Norton is a great little machine for money, loads of grunt. I use one when I'm short on space.
If your mosaic are meshed a wet cutter is prob not ideal. Mesh will prob distort if wet. You can use a grinder with dry blade or put a dry blade in your Norton.

I think I'm sold on the Norton, everybody seems to like it!!

With regards to the mosaics, I wouldn't have known that so thanks. I'll look into getting a dry blade also.

Silly question, I want to lay my mosaics horizontally, would you just peel the edge tile off the backing and cut it in half, polish the edge and use the adhesive to stick it to the wall?

I'm guessing you're meant to lay these pointing downwards as they will link into each other but all the pictures from the tile website shows them going horizontally. This will obviously mean lots of cutting!! What's the proper way to do these?

Mosaic_300_x_300.jpeg

O

Old Mod

I think I'm sold on the Norton, everybody seems to like it!!

With regards to the mosaics, I wouldn't have known that so thanks. I'll look into getting a dry blade also.

Silly question, I want to lay my mosaics horizontally, would you just peel the edge tile off the backing and cut it in half, polish the edge and use the adhesive to stick it to the wall?

No question is silly before u carry out a task. Only after u've messed up does it become silly to ask after! Haha
yeah that'll work. Maybe look at turning cut inward so factory edge is outermost then just round off cut edge, prob less work involved. U won't have to try polish complete edge if it's on show.

O

Old Mod

I'm guessing you're meant to lay these pointing downwards as they will link into each other but all the pictures from the tile website shows them going horizontally. This will obviously mean lots of cutting!! What's the proper way to do these?

sorry missed this paragraph ooops!
No, generally they are laid landscape, (horizontal) if you're cutting into a corner for example u can use a dry blade in a grinder if you're skilful or a lightweight slide cutter with a decent cutting wheel or even nippers. Your choice really, depends on skill level, tools at your disposal and of course most importantly, what's the most comfortable for you! :thumbsup:

D

dazzler9000

sorry missed this paragraph ooops!
No, generally they are laid landscape, (horizontal) if you're cutting into a corner for example u can use a dry blade in a grinder if you're skilful or a lightweight slide cutter with a decent cutting wheel or even nippers. Your choice really, depends on skill level, tools at your disposal and of course most importantly, what's the most comfortable for you! :thumbsup:

Brilliant, I love this forum, there's so many helpful members :thumbsup:

One last question, what will I use to polish the edge? a polishing pad in an angle grinder??

Cheer again. I'm building a list of questions, so Ill be back soon with a mammoth thread in the main tiling forum soon!!

O

Old Mod

Cheer again. I'm building a list of questions, so Ill be back soon with a mammoth thread in the main tiling forum soon!!

thought it was your last question? Hahaha
well for me, I'd probably just get something like a mid range grit paper disk and just take the top edge off by hand so it looks similar to other edges and turn it inward.
You know the saying "it'll look fine after it's grouted! Haha
good luck!

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to New wet cutter for DIYer - Norton clipper TT200EM in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

S
Hi, DIYer for many years, about to embark on my 3rd big tiling project bathroom, floor with...
Replies
Views
p4ulo
P
V
Evening guys recently got my own place, and really want to sort out the kitchen. I thought my...
Replies
Views
Veitchy
V
T
Not a question, but a suprising observation of an illusion! My next task has been to come up...
Replies
Views
bcd-87
B
R
Hi everyone, I have been doing a lot of the wooden floor effect tiles lately and decided to...
Replies
Views
ruairi mac
R
diy dos on bbc 1 now. Awesome tiling throughout and used them in living room too. Take note of...
Replies
Views

Popular Tile Cutter Threads

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB