Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Newbie help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

G

gavin2.6

Hey guys, Hope everyone is ok today.

Reason for my post is i am having a few issues with my kitchen floor tiles.

I had an uneven floor in my kitchen so put a concrete layer on it about 15mm then tiled over it.

90% of the fllor is spot on but in one area the concrete starting crumbling and the tiles wont stick to it.

I removed the concreate and redid it. 4-1 mix with cement and builder sand and some waterproofer/plasticiser in the water mixed to correct amount. Once dry i added some own brand b and q tile adhesive to the floor and stuck on my tiles. Next day the tile glue was rock hard around the edges but the tiles had not stuck. They come away without any force.

Another thing i have noticed is the concrete is not rock hard. Its sort of dusty and if i scrap it with my trowel i can make deep scores in it and the concrete just goes to dust. :oops:

Any ideas what i have messed up on would be welcome.

Thanks for reading all.

Cheers

Gav

G

gavin2.6

I had 2 bags of sand. one builders which is fine and another sharpe sand that has big chunks of stones etc in it. I guessed finer sand would make nice surface for tiles to sit on.

In terms of sealer. No used. Just let concrete (sand & cement mix) dry then chucked tile adhesive ontop. Am guessing that the oncrete has sucked the moisture from the tile glue and made it go funny?

Not used srb on top of the concrete floor. Just glue then tiles lol. They rest of it is so solid its not going anywhere. Its just the little bit near where the door is.

D

david campbell

you should have used the slurry coat before adding the mortar that you laid to even the floor up as it helps to stop it drying to quick and also removes any dust that would prevent the new mix adhering to the old,also there should have been aggregate or some kind of chip through your mix for strength!

as above you have mixed bricklaying mortar,probably best chip it up and start again:thumbsup:

the 15mm layer will need 2 weeks to dry before tiling also

Last edited by a moderator:
G

gavin2.6

Thanks for the info guys.

The area that is affected is about 1xm2. The floor already had a solid concrete floor. The slab looks about a foot thick. The reason i only added 15mm thickness is down the the existing floor level. I could not add more height as it would mess up the level of the floor,cabinets etc. With the 15mm concrete i added everything lines up fine. It would mean ripping the whole kitchen out to take any height of the main slab.

The whole room is 20m2 and the bit thats 2m2 is just a little area ajoining the back door opening.

My only options are to remove my additional 15mm layer from the main slab in the effected area and re-lay with sharpe sand then tile or just attempt to get the tiles to stick the 15mm concrete piece i have in place via some sealent.

The 15mm piece i have added is solid just goes a little dusty if you rub it.

:behead:

Reply to Newbie help in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi All Had a panic when we had to rip out some of our floor tiles after a plumbing leak...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Newbie help
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.