Discuss Newbie/oldie! Hi Everyone. Plumber. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Kent
Plumber from Kent, was looking for advice on project, found this site through mapi. Hope I'm posting this the correct way as new to forums of any kind.
Doing a project on a property, two bathrooms, have stripped old tiles off walls, looks like they used already made up adeshive from tubs, have removed loose or blown adeshive/plaster from walls. I was going to smooth off walls with multi finish plaster making ready for tiling. Should I use P v a before I plaster or acrylic bonding agent?? I've already looked on this site and noticed that pva should NOT be used before tiling. so what about the plaster coat? Any feedback would be great.

O

Old Mod

Hey Archie.
Welcome to the forum.
Well u've certainly come to the right place for your advice.
There are plasterers on here that can give u concise advice in that area, but to my knowledge u'd skim the way u always have done, it's what u put on top of the plaster that matters. Yes you're correct, NEVER PVA directly before tiling, always use a primer specifically designed for tiling.
A better question would be, is plaster correct for your project?
Plaster is one of the weakest substrates to tile to, what are fixing to the walls? If it's a heavy material like stone or some porcelains, it's probably not suitable. U'd be better off over boarding the walls with a tile backer board of some description, or even green plasterboard, as long as u tank the wet areas after. There are also quick set renders available from adhesive manufacturers.

Kent
Hey Archie.
Welcome to the forum.
Well u've certainly come to the right place for your advice.
There are plasterers on here that can give u concise advice in that area, but to my knowledge u'd skim the way u always have done, it's what u put on top of the plaster that matters. Yes you're correct, NEVER PVA directly before tiling, always use a primer specifically designed for tiling.
A better question would be, is plaster correct for your project?
Plaster is one of the weakest substrates to tile to, what are fixing to the walls? If it's a heavy material like stone or some porcelains, it's probably not suitable. U'd be better off over boarding the walls with a tile backer board of some description, or even green plasterboard, as long as u tank the wet areas after. There are also quick set renders available from adhesive manufacturers.
Thanks for your prompt and professional advice. I like the sound of the quick set renders you mentioned, although it does not need to be be quick set, the backer board method sounds good and I've used this before but it may take up a little to much space & doorframes would then have to be made bigger to facilitate both board/tiles. I know bal do a premixed render, totally understand about the multi finish, ok for painting but not for porcelain or heavy stone. Any recommendations on the render?? Thanks.

Kent
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Newbie/oldie! Hi Everyone. Plumber. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi all, hoping for some advice. We purchased some splitface slate tiles from tilegiant and had...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB