Discuss Newbie requiring advice ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

MartinH

Gents I could really do with some advice -only new to the trade and realising QUICKLY!, thats there a lot to learn. .....

I am tiling above a window recess and the tiles keep slipping down, am using a decent adhesive, but short of holding the tile in place until it stops slipping, are there any tips for dealing with this situation......this is such a basic question, im embarrassed to ask tbh, but I guess that is what these forums are for...to get the advice from those who know ...so would really appreciate any advice...many thanks

M

MartinH

Hi Martin, Your right, that is what this forum is for so dont feel embarrassed at all.

As the guys have said, forget ready mixed stuff, get some rapid set powder adhesive and cut batons to hold the tiles in place until the adhesive sets then remove them.

P.S Just as a note there are a few very good tiling ladies on this site as well as gents :thumbsup:

Rich - thanks for your post .....and to all the ladies I may have offended by not including a reference to you in my initial post, I do sincerely and humbly apologise......

D

Daz

I don't think you should be using Bal Grip with that size tile as it will struggle to dry fully.
I, too, would recommend a powdered (cement based) adhesive.

Trowel the wall and leave for a few minutes, backskim the tile (with the smooth edge of the trowel), press the tile into place approx 5mm higher than you want it with a twisting motion and it should settle into place with no real slippage. Failing that, you need to fix a baton to the window head or use adjustable stands to hold a baton in place.

Good luck,

Daz

Reply to Newbie requiring advice ! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
First of all, I'm sure this question has been asked a thousand times so apologies in advance! A...
Replies
Views
Hi, Is there anyone out there looking for some free labour in the Oxfordshire area anytime...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
C
Good Evening Ladies & Gents! Hope your all well and won’t mind me picking your brains, I’ll...
Replies
Views
Flintstone
F

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Newbie requiring advice !
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.