Discuss Nightmare Tiles! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deri

My work at the moment mainly comprises of the same job all the time, kichens 6x6 cream, Bath/Shower rooms 6x6 white with mosaic border. Boring but at least i am tiling.
The company I work for have changed their tile supplier from Thompsons to British ceramic.

The problem is, the new tiles are all shapes and is making things really hard to keep the grout lines straight. if I try and straighten it out on the horizontal I start to kick on the vertical and vice versa. kitchen splash-back is not a problem but the bathrooms when tiling to the ceiling is hard work:mad2:

I will be doing a bathroom next week and am pretty sure I will have the same problem again. Can anyone give me some advice on keeping the lines straight?

T

tfs

if its there bumpy whites I generally dont use any spacer less than 3mm as these tiles can have size discrepancies of up to 2mm in my experience.

You will find that there can be convex curvature on these tiles too so the tiles can touch in the centre of tiles even with 2mm spacers. The edges on the tiles are not true and the chamfered effect can cuase issues with spacing.

Unfortunatly, 9 times out of 10 this range is not of decent quality.

T

tfs

generaly with tiles of such poor quality you will not get perfect lines (no matter how good you are) as these tiles may niot be square, they have convex edges and they are different sizes so all you can do is use the bigger spacing to give yourself more play to adjust and make the imperfections lsightly less obvious.

These tiles are cheap as chips and this is reflected in the overall quality.

Explain this to anyone who has problems with the end result.

There realy is only so much you can do with tiles like this:thumbsup:

D

Dave Ramsden

British Ceramics make some niice tiles! Ive found the odd one with a glaze blemish but nothing noticeable in the dimensions of the tile. maybe your contractor has a deal on end of line and defect tiles??
Still, wedges will help you more than spacers and try taking some extra time setting your starting latt making sure it is supported adequately and not twisted. Draw a few level and plumb guide lines and work to one or two courses at a time, see if this helps...

D

Deri

British Ceramics make some niice tiles! Ive found the odd one with a glaze blemish but nothing noticeable in the dimensions of the tile. maybe your contractor has a deal on end of line and defect tiles??
Still, wedges will help you more than spacers and try taking some extra time setting your starting latt making sure it is supported adequately and not twisted. Draw a few level and plumb guide lines and work to one or two courses at a time, see if this helps...

British ceramics do make good tiles. When I saw the boxes I thought nice one, but when I started laying them on the wall it was a different story.

C

cornish_crofter

I'm about to fit some bumpy whites from CTD. 8 x10 to be exact. I've used 6x6 tiles from the same source and TBH I've been quite impressed with them for the price.

The only critisism I would have is that the glazing on the last lot I laid was a little lacking of a few edges, meaning that I had to grout carefully to avoid seeing the base colour of the tile.

I use the spacers as pegs if I need to.

Reply to Nightmare Tiles! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi there - I’m hoping to get some advice. I’m a builder, based in Melbourne, Australia. I’ve...
Replies
Views
Matthew7
M
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi there I’m new to Tile Forum and joined to get professional opinions because I really need...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, i took some jobs as a contractor for some MC Donald's restaurants but i find it quite...
Replies
Views
Hi all. So I am trying to plan the layout of tiles for my bathroom. Figured out the horizontal...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Nightmare Tiles!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.