Guest viewing is limited

Discuss No More Ply Vs Hardiebacker Board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Steve H

Hi,

I have searched the Forum Threads for previous thoughts on No More Ply and I think that I am ready to use it in a bathroom job, laying it on top of the existing Chipboard, which appears sound and to my inexperienced eye shows no signs of deflection. The advertising blurb for NMP indicates that 6mm NMP gives the same degree of stiffness, if that is an acceptable term, as 15 mm ply. This appeals because it reduces the height gain from the landing to the bathroom.

Does Hardibacker give the same amount of stiffness, therefore making it a suitable contender, or is NMP unique in that way.

Does NMP really offer that amount of solidness, and would the 9mm NMP offer an even more solid base to lay tiles onto.

Is there something which can measure the flex in a floor, I have read that 3mm in 400mm is acceptable, but how do you measure that or is it just a gift that comes with experience.

Thanks in anticipation.

Steve H

G

grumpygrouter

Hi,

I have searched the Forum Threads for previous thoughts on No More Ply and I think that I am ready to use it in a bathroom job, laying it on top of the existing Chipboard, which appears sound and to my inexperienced eye shows no signs of deflection. The advertising blurb for NMP indicates that 6mm NMP gives the same degree of stiffness, if that is an acceptable term, as 15 mm ply. This appeals because it reduces the height gain from the landing to the bathroom.

Does Hardibacker give the same amount of stiffness, therefore making it a suitable contender, or is NMP unique in that way.

Does NMP really offer that amount of solidness, and would the 9mm NMP offer an even more solid base to lay tiles onto.

Is there something which can measure the flex in a floor, I have read that 3mm in 400mm is acceptable, but how do you measure that or is it just a gift that comes with experience.

Thanks in anticipation.

Steve H
We had a representative of the importers of NMP on here as a member a while a go. I ask him to post test documentation to prove that NMP adds equivalent strenght to a boarded floor as 15mm ply......... none was forthcoming, and he didn't stay around long after that!!

As for 3mm over a 400mm length, thats a lot of deflection in my opinion!

Reply to No More Ply Vs Hardiebacker Board in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi, I bought 6mm No More Ply for my bathroom floor before I tile. As you can see the...
Replies
Views
Afternoon all, I am putting together a some idealised cross-section sketches to plan out...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I'm looking to start my bathroom renovation with the intention of tiling the whole...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am building a new bathroom in my own house. The room is on the first floor in a newly...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
No More Ply Vs Hardiebacker Board
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.