Discuss Not to shabby for a joiner! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Russell brown

Here's some pics of a en-suite wet room ive just designed, supplied and fitted. First time I've done envelope cuts to a tray but I'm pleased with the result. Had a long chat with 3-fall off here who helped me iron out some concerns on how to do the cuts, top bloke and really appreciate him giving up his time to talk to me and give me advice!. Don't get me wrong ive a long way to go before I get to the standard of some of the people on here but I still enjoy doing different trades to the best of my abilities and always try and push myself, pick up a dewalt d24000 tomorrow:hurray:

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

J

J Sid

I think it does follow, but with brick bond, :thumbsup:

Chalker you may well be right, but looking at the pics on my phone it appears the the side wall joints are about 50mm higher, every other joint that is due to bond change from horizontal to vertical.
I am not saying it's right or wrong to not have joints lining up at corners. What I am saying is if they don't join in corners I would have had them joining.
That's me, I like to set out and have grout joints, floor to wall and around corners lining up. I know some don't.
If i am looking at the pics wrong Russell, then I'm sorry and will shut up

R

Russell brown

Joints wouldn't line up! Annoyed the **** out of me, the darker tiles are about 2mm smaller and the grout line between meant on one tile there was 4mm difference. The customer did want them running through but I had to show him it looked worse. As for the tiles lipping yes there's a couple that lip about 1/2mm but fortunately there's a mirror going there. God knows what happened as I took my time making sure everyone was right and when I went to clean down there was a couple lipping. There's a few things not many I could be picky on but on the whole I'm happy.

R

Russell brown

Don't take it to heart, and I'm always open to constructive critisism. The customer was originally going to have a big unit above the sink and is now going to have a mirror instead. If they weren't big covered they'd be getting replaced. Just looked at the photo again and they do look worse than they are especially the one next to the sink!. I'm back Tuesday to start another job and do a couple finishing bits in the bathroom, I'll take some pics with packers against them as they really are minimal?.

J

J Sid

Russell, I had the same problem a few years back. Turn up on the job with two different coloured tiles, turn out a huge size different.
The lesson I leant was if you are supplying the tile tell your supplier that they must be same size. If customer supplying them, before job starts get them to tell there supplier the same, just as you would tell the to make sure they get all the tiles the same batch.
Wherever they came from the supplier was just getting rid of stock, when they should have ordered them in specially. If the supplier could not do this, go somewhere else.
With regards to lips, using larger tiles with rectified edges on straight or brick bond can make getting that perfect finish hard. I use Raimondi leveling system and tile spacers, worth considering on walls or floors.

Attachments

• NewImage_1080_1920_90.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 72
S

Stocks Tiles

You don't have to take any pics mate, only a little tip that's all :8: long as the customers are happy, with old walls (ripped old tiles off and tiling over crap) makes it hard anyway. Like I say though you've done a really nice job I'm just a lippage hater but you haven't been doing it that long and the pictures probably make it look worse than it is with shadowing.

Monday tomorrow :yikes:

R

Russell brown

You don't have to take any pics mate, only a little tip that's all :8: long as the customers are happy, with old walls (ripped old tiles off and tiling over crap) makes it hard anyway. Like I say though you've done a really nice job I'm just a lippage hater but you haven't been doing it that long and the pictures probably make it look worse than it is with shadowing.
Monday tomorrow :yikes:

I've been around the trade 22yrs or so, started off kitchen and bathroom fitting for my old man. Went on my own kitchen fitting and have fitted some really high end stuff and showrooms out for companies. Then went into joinery for most of it but always done jobs on the side doing all sorts from tiling to roof tiling. But recently I've really got into tiling and bathrooms because the tiling industry has moved on loads
, I even went out to Spain a few years ago before the recession to start a business up importing them, and had everything in place but got cold feet in the end

R

Russell brown

Must have you confused with someone with a similar name who posted a few months ago who had just started tiling amongst their other trades. Sorry my bad :sofahide:

To be fair I have been asking a few questions purely because I'd let to get upto date with some of the new stuff being used, this was the first job I've used hardibacker on. I've always tiled onto ply. Plus there's some top people on here where you can learn a good few things from 3-fall being one of them and if it wasn't for him I'd of been stuck on the wet room tray.

M

Mr Tiler

To be fair I have been asking a few questions purely because I'd let to get upto date with some of the new stuff being used, this was the first job I've used hardibacker on. I've always tiled onto ply. Plus there's some top people on here where you can learn a good few things from 3-fall being one of them and if it wasn't for him I'd of been stuck on the wet room tray.
some wicked tilers on here mate top quality

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Not to shabby for a joiner! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

uHeat and TilersForums.com go Way Back - And Continue to Partner-up to Bring You Savings on...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
Edd The Tiler
E
Hello all, I could do with some advise if anyone would kindly help me. first of all, I’m not a...
Replies
Views
HI, Excuse the length and new thread, but it reads super fast. I could use some advice. There...
Replies
Views
eric123
E
Hi all, I'm faced with a bit of a conundrum regarding the state of our shower recess, as well...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB