UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Notches or all solid bed? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Realstokebloke

Following on...I have ensuite floor (330mm sq ceramics on 6mm hardibacker - so flat & even - with BAL single part fast flex) so what notch trowel do I need plse? I assume a 10mm notch? Or bigger?Shower Walls - on 10mm Hydrapanel (Marley Eternit) using BAL single part Flexible, is this a notch or a solid bed on walls plse? If notch 6 or 10mm plse?Other walls (plasterboard - currently painted so I assume I need to get paint off & prime & use same addy as shower walls but here, as it's outwith the shower (wet) area is it a noitched trowel - 6 or 10 mm plse?Many thanks.RSB

If you use the 20mm then you will use twice as much adhesive than you need to and cost you more. Depending on the adhesive you use and the temperture the setting time will be longer so it wont improve things if you use the 20 you would be better off using an 8 and a 10 for the floor imo. More is sometimes not always good.
Adhesives used today are normally a thinset adhesive. Some will not be suitable for such a heavy bed. 2 to 5mm bed is sufficient once the tile has been bedded into it as long as you have almost 100 percent coverage to the back of the tile and as its already been mentioned, back buttering wouldn't hurt either.
Ardex for instance recommend a 6mm for walls and a 10mm for floors. The notches allow you to set the tile well into the adhesive as it sets in, the adhesive will flatten out the notches to form good coverage to the back of the tile. Back buttering the tile will give it an excellent bond to adhesive you spread onto the wall or floor. hope thats helpful and happy tiling:8:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Notches or all solid bed? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Notches or all solid bed?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.