Discuss novice slate floor layer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

surrey
my advice would be gauge the tiles 1st , sweep and hover floor then seal with floor primer many choices, the check levels of floor , centre the biggest room or wall 1st , make a marking rod ( normal 6-8 tiles) check all runs off into different rooms spend time in marking out , find heighest point on floor and start to lay from that mark with thin tile but make sure you back spread the thin tiles as they be the 1st to fail, use a level checking tiles and floor as you go i mallet every tile old school, i normal make sure all edges are in full contact with adhesive increasing thickness as required , mark sure you work clean wiping tiles and joints as you go . check every 6-7 tiles that you are getting full contact. i normal wash slate 4-6 times with clean water to remove any dust of addy on surface , once you are happy i normal seal tiles before grouting and normally leave over night, i use rapid set grouts then there is no issues with staining , but slow setting grout maybe be better.
allow to dry then use a netrualiser to clean residue from tile surface allow to dry over night then put final top coat on slate ,
You must take you time , make sure you have wet cutter and please use gloves and eye protection when cutting ,
good luck and i hope this helps

S

simon benn

First DONT WORRY (its only tiling). Best off using 10mm Square notched serated trowel, try to start with the thickest tiles. Lift following tiles with guaging trowel spread adhesive and rub down flush with last tile, wash excess adhesive off with wet sponge. If at the end you have lipped tiles next to each other then get a hammer and bolster and flick the shales off to make flush, as it is slate youre not really going to damage the tile, just use plenty of impregnating sealer (Always recomend Lithofin). All the best.

Reply to novice slate floor layer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi, i'm undertaking all of the tiling in our project. I have two different types of 600mm tiles...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
novice slate floor layer
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.