UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Novice tiling over ply/concrete in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Sam B

Hi everyone

I'm a first time tiler and am about to undertake the tiling of my kitchen/dining room. The tiles will be partly over timber floor with a plywood topping the rest will be over concrete (althought this will also have a layer of ply over it to maintain levels). I will be spanning sheets of ply over the transition between timber and concrete to try and limit any differential movement between the two and, hopefully, cracking of the grout.

Can anyone offer any advice on adhesives and grout etc? I know I need a flexible adhesive over the timber but should I carry this over to the concrete or will a regular adhesive be ok?

Also can anyone advise on which adhesive to use, from many searches prices seem to range from £10 to £40 for a 20kg bag all of which claim to be usable over ply. The total area I am tiling is close to 25m2 so I'm looking at quite a few bags.

Finally should I be treating/preparing the ply before starting to tile?

I am in the Sheffield/Barnsley area so if anyone can suggest local tiling places in this area that would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sam

S

Sam B

Thanks for your comments phil.

I don't have any pictures but the image below shows the room as drawn in CAD, the orange line shows the edge of the timber floor (to the right and top is concrete). The top of the image is an extension hence the thick stub out at the orange line which is the original external wall. The two rectangles to the right are store rooms.

IOmkAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

What would be required for the movement joint? Would you leave out grout along that line and replace with some kind of epoxy filler with a similar colour?

Sam

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Novice tiling over ply/concrete in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.