Discuss Nvq2 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Not sure this is a good thing for this industry, I served a five year apprenticeship, along with a five year day release at a college of building. I think I earned my NVQ 3. the hard way. But this seems to be a thing of the past.

I am still proud of my experience, and would not change it, having said that, I have said before on this forum a piece of paper means nothing.

Tiling is a mind set, you can either cut it, or you can't. Attention to detail is paramount, experience can never be replaced. I am talking about the confidence to walk on any job, anywhere in the world and be able to say, " I am a tiler" then ( walk the walk, not just talk the talk).

I like to see people do well in this industry, but it is not so easy to become a true master of your craft:thumbsup:

J

jay

Not sure this is a good thing for this industry, I served a five year apprenticeship, along with a five year day release at a college of building. I think I earned my NVQ 3. the hard way. But this seems to be a thing of the past.
I am still proud of my experience, and would not change it, having said that, I have said before on this forum a piece of paper means nothing.
Tiling is a mind set, you can either cut it, or you can't. Attention to detail is paramount, experience can never be replaced. I am talking about the confidence to walk on any job, anywhere in the world and be able to say, " I am a tiler" then ( walk the walk, not just talk the talk).
I like to see people do well in this industry, but it is not so easy to become a true master of your craft:thumbsup:
Here here :thumbsup:

G

Gall.B

It can be a wee bit baffling sometimes when the trade you love a spent 4-5 yrs training and working hard in to become qualified in become a six week course and a bit of paper, im sorry and apoligise in advance but it just doesnt cut it for me. and I wouldnt employ anybody to carry out work in my home or on site who is trained in this way or regard them as tradesmen or pro's

Like Phill and many others I was fortunate enough and went out and got a traditional apprenticeship at 16 was schooled by craftsmen who had been at it since the early 50's some where terrazzo men most could ss render ss screed and hand fix experience and knowledge you just simply cant buy, 6 weeks INTENSIVE just wouldnt even scratch the surface or merit a qualification , I play 5's once a week if I did a course would I profesional at the end of it? would I be signing for Man utd? point is N.V.Q aint worth the paper is printed on.

Sorry for the rant, just very frustrating to see the trade become what it has and been bought and sold so easily, and fed up being called to inspect or fix novices problems that are taking work away and undercutting tradesmen

02062011128.jpg 02062011129.jpg 02062011130.jpg

G

Gall.B

Where was that done:yikes::yikes:

House in Lenzie near Glasgow. Friend of a builder I sub to asked me to come fix a couple of patched tiles for him the floor is 2yr old and his front steps arent much better. The guy knew my rates at the time but decided to give it to a new start with a certificatewhos rates were less than mine,third one in 2 weeks ive seen ply is pva'd also

J

jay

House in Lenzie near Glasgow. Friend of a builder I sub to asked me to come fix a couple of patched tiles for him the floor is 2yr old and his front steps arent much better. The guy knew my rates at the time but decided to give it to a new start with a certificatewhos rates were less than mine,third one in 2 weeks ive seen ply is pva'd also

you get what you pay for

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Nvq2 in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, I did some reading here and there, but the opinions seem to diverge at some point and I...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi - we would very much appreciate some advice. In October 2020 we had a sole trader come in to...
Replies
Views
Hello! We have an issue with 12 cracked large format thin porcelain tiles (1500x1500x6mm). They...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Nvq2
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.