Discuss Ok lets open a debate....fast track in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Ive had lads who have been on full time courses at collage plastering for over a year and couldn't cut a plasterboard right! How folk can go on a course and learn a trade in a few weeks is just daft.
My boss said and im sure many on here are the same, when i served over 4 years and got my paperwork, he said 'now you start learning craig' He was right, 27 years later i stil learn stuff

T

Time's Ran Out

As this forum has 3 such short term training providers as sponsors, it may be worth appreciating the support they have given to the site owner.
We all have views on the way our trade is portrayed to the general public and the standard of some jobs leave a lot to be desired.
However like a customer these people who pay up and sign for these courses should do their homework prior to deciding such a large financial commitment .

gamma38

TF
Bedford
This debate will never stop until the entire building trade goes back to the days of full apprenticeships. If they still existed there wouldn't be a need for these courses. I don't think you can blame the guy's running them, a gap in the market will always get filled right or wrong. As John says as well they do sponsor this forum.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Gloucester
I did mate yeah, I'd done a bit of tiling before I did it, only for myself though nothing paid.[/QUOTE
I reckon the amount of people that make a successful career from these course is quite low, so what do you think made your business work Bri......did you work with another tiler after the course, or were you able to get a job with a tiling firm..?

I

Ian

I did mate yeah, I'd done a bit of tiling before I did it, only for myself though nothing paid.[/QUOTE
I reckon the amount of people that make a successful career from these course is quite low, so what do you think made your business work Bri......did you work with another tiler after the course, or were you able to get a job with a tiling firm..?

Went straight out on my own, I was very fortunate to have friends in the building trade who helped me get in with a few people but, essentially I had to learn as I went along. I learnt a few things the hard way but, have never had anything go badly wrong, I've even had repeat work from a couple of my early jobs which has given me the chance to look at my old work, and it's still to a good standard. I'd say the thing that I knew almost nothing about was the technical side of tiling, proper prep and correct use of materials. It was a tough way to get into the trade but, I had to change career as my old job was beginning to depress me to the point that I didn't want to get out of bed in the morning.

P

Protilers

I am not going to criticise people who decide to do a course.....some people just have a natural talent for something....and that "could" be tiling/plumbing/bomb disposal......and that person may be fantastic!
I have not read the main parts of the post.......(please forgive me!) but I will chip in my 2p.......

YOU CANT LEARN ANYTHING ON A QUICK COURSE!!!!.......(other than the REAL basics) full stop!
I feel sorry for the people that think they can leave their career in I.T and will become a plumber/whatever in a few weeks(at great cost!) .........it is simply not true.......IMO......
the first time a course tiler comes up against a substrate he/she is not used to.......tile centre setups are box sections that are flat, level and plumb........this job you could be tiling the face of mount everest!!!

I have done a good few courses over the years and I can assure you........training on the job is the only way forward!!!!......IMO.......

I will await the battering I am about to receive!...........be gentle.........usually, I am here to help!

Lee

I

Ian

I am not going to criticise people who decide to do a course.....some people just have a natural talent for something....and that "could" be tiling/plumbing/bomb disposal......and that person may be fantastic!
I have not read the main parts of the post.......(please forgive me!) but I will chip in my 2p.......

YOU CANT LEARN ANYTHING ON A QUICK COURSE!!!!.......(other than the REAL basics) full stop!
I feel sorry for the people that think they can leave their career in I.T and will become a plumber/whatever in a few weeks(at great cost!) .........it is simply not true.......IMO......
the first time a course tiler comes up against a substrate he/she is not used to.......tile center box sections are flat, level and plumb........this job you could be tiling the face of mount everest!!!

I have done a good few courses over the years and I can assure you........training on the job is the only way forward!!!!......IMO.......

I will await the battering I am about to receive!...........be gentle.........usually, I am here to help!

Lee

totally with you Lee, in the early days I had to research my jobs before I quoted them rather than just dive in and hope for the best. Somehow it took me 3 years to find this forum which has been the best source of info for me ever since.

C

charlie1

I also done a course (1 week) and learned loads on the course but the course did not make me a tiler, I made me a tiler, I eat, slept and done tiling and have been like that ever since. Here my guess at successfull short course students making a living... 5-15%, why? Because they have little respect for what's involved to be a great tiler or they have no aspirations to be a great tiler. Once one knows what he/she wants to be then they can acquire enough knowllage and skill to get them there, how they do that is not important but they do need the curiosity to ask the right questions, then throw in working with some other tilers and learn from them... 6 years later he/she making a decent living with loads of experience then the sky is the limit. Failure = do a course then come out all guns blazing, taking on jobs that are way out your depth (most are at that stake but you either sink or swim)

yes I know... I'm getting off topic and carried away.

I would one day like to pass on all I know to someone or others and give them a chance. I personally know at least 6 people who have been on a short course and failed miserably. I fact, I don't actually know anyone who has done a short course and been successfull but in saying that... No one in real life ever admits to doing a short course lol

C

charlie1

the first time a course tiler comes up against a substrate he/she is not used to.......tile centre setups are box sections that are flat, level and plumb........this job you could be tiling the face of mount everest!!!

Lee

couldnt really disagree with any of that.

M

MTiler

I learnt to tile on a 4 week, full time course. I was made redundant and had to re-train in something. Ive been trading 6 years, and you all seem to like my work. The TTA tiler of the year also originally learnt to tile on a course, as it happens with the same company as me.
Whichever way we originally learnt to tile we're always learning. We've all got to start somewhere and most of us dont have the luxury of being able to do two/three year courses. No method is better or worse than the other, theres good and bad in both, its what you do with it that counts and your attitude. If your attitude stinks your work will stink however you learnt.

Sharon

M

Mr T

I learnt to tile on a 4 week, full time course. I was made redundant and had to re-train in something. Ive been trading 6 years, and you all seem to like my work. The TTA tiler of the year also originally learnt to tile on a course, as it happens with the same company as me.
Whichever way we originally learnt to tile we're always learning. We've all got to start somewhere and most of us dont have the luxury of being able to do two/three year courses. No method is better or worse than the other, theres good and bad in both, its what you do with it that counts and your attitude. If your attitude stinks your work will stink however you learnt.

Sharon

I honestly couldn't out it better myself... and to people who think working for nothing is a bad thing or will get you knowhere... tht is just not true... I love tiling and I will eventually be a fully established tiler with no college nvq or qualifications but that doesn't matter because once im timeserved and know the ins and outs it will cost me roughly £100 to get an nvq in one a day.

S

Stef

As already stated, You have to be a certain individual to come through any course.

I think the majority of members on this forum would have been able to make it in whatever career that they chose.

I have done numerous jobs, brickie, joiner, painter etc but tiling was something that i had always wanted to pursue & i worked beside a tiler (use that term loosely) for over 2 years & then went for it myself.

I think very few will come through a short course & make a living from the tiling game but as this forum has proved it can be done.

Reply to Ok lets open a debate....fast track in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, new to the forum and after some advice if possible. Without boring you with my life...
Replies
Views
Good Evening Folks. I'm going to post a few pictures & would like to hear some feedback from...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB