Discuss Ok lets open a debate....fast track in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

Mr T

As already stated, You have to be a certain individual to come through any course.

I think the majority of members on this forum would have been able to make it in whatever career that they chose.

I have done numerous jobs, brickie, joiner, painter etc but tiling was something that i had always wanted to pursue & i worked beside a tiler (use that term loosely) for over 2 years & then went for it myself.

I think very few will come through a short course & make a living from the tiling game but as this forum has proved it can be done.

I agree there too mate to be able to do 4 weeks at it with no experience at all is quite an individual...

T

The D

I honestly couldn't out it better myself... and to people who think working for nothing is a bad thing or will get you knowhere... tht is just not true... I love tiling and I will eventually be a fully established tiler with no college nvq or qualifications but that doesn't matter because once im timeserved and know the ins and outs it will cost me roughly £100 to get an nvq in one a day.
Ok let me make my self absolutely transparent I do not have a problem with people working for nothing to get some on the job experience. I do not have a problem with tilers that started there journey in a training centre. I absolutely agree we all have to start somewhere .
My comment was about the people in the article that was asking companies to take them on for nothing so they could collect the evidence for there NVQ. This is futile the evidence they collect this way can’t count towards there NVQ if it was not paid work.

I do however have a big big problem with training providers that sell short training courses and dress them up to be something they are not. In there advertising they refer to full level this and NVQ that when what they are actually selling is nothing more than an in house certificate and a lot of talk.

D

Daveshadowman

When I started tiling if some one had said I have been on a 2-4 week course to learn to tile he would have been told you just about learnt how to make the tea and carry the tools then Maybe mix the sticky and drive the sweeping brush . IMO and I do not wish to afend anyone it has taken me 25 years +the learn my trade not 2-4 weeks these course should be band and go back to a full appentership with sending the apprentice for a long stand etc that is what makes a tradesman life long learning not 2-4 weeks

STEVO

TF
stockport
That's a really good article. I was surprised it was from 3 yrs ago. I wonder how many of these firms are still operating. I enquired about the OLCI course probably about that time but thankfully decided it wasn't worth it.
But back to tiling. I did a short course probably about 7 yrs ago ish. And it was pants!! Absolute rubbish. They didn't even show me how to tile around a window!! Looking back i can't believe how bad it was. It only focused on ceramics , but i'm not sure how much porcelain was around then, let alone stone! If i remember rightly, they hardly mentioned the various types of adhesive available!

From what i have seen recently from firms offering 2/3/4 week courses they are now much more detailed with a lot of tuition about prep and different tile types to reflect what is in the marketplace thesedays.
I have had to learn as i go, teaching myself and researching what i'm dealing with and learning off others. I think it helped that i am a practical person to start with. But i know for sure that there is lots i don't know, probably stuff i could have only learned from apprenticeship (officially) or at the very least working alongside a time served tiler for a couple of years.

That said, i have managed to make a living out of tiling, although not as successful as i really need it to be, have a good reputation and dont have the "couldn't care less" attitude of the cowboy brigade.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Ok lets open a debate....fast track in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, new to the forum and after some advice if possible. Without boring you with my life...
Replies
Views
Good Evening Folks. I'm going to post a few pictures & would like to hear some feedback from...
Replies
Views
Hi. I'm relatively new to tiling, and have begun offering it as a service alongside my existing...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB