Discuss Old Codger Plumber Needs Help Tiling:-) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

silverpuma

Hi guys I'm going to try to tile my bathroom. On the pictures you will see two old window recesses that have been blocked up on the back side as we built an extension on to the back of the bathroom (we put in roof velux for light) I would like to block up one of these widows flush with the wall and have 2 shelves in the other window/recess.

Questions:
1 what type of material should I use to block the window opening with? I have thought of studding the inside recess with say 3 x 1 1/2 and then plaster board flush (as there will be no direct water here.) But how do I make the joints between the existing wall and the new flush plasterboard strong enough to stop cracking at this weak junction or is this a problem at all
WP_20150617_005.jpg
WP_20150617_001.jpg
?

2. On the shelf, what materials should I use? Again I was thinking about normal studding and plasterboard?

I am a retired plumber due to ill health and I have time so I want to do a really neat tidy job with no shortcuts but I don't have the experience of tiling to know the "best" way, hence I am thankful for any help offered.

PS: The old tiles left behind adhesive I have used a steamer wallpaper stripper on a small area and scraped the adhesive off with a trowel seemed to work OK, any better ways? The wall are smooth sand and cement.....loads of more questions coming.....!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

If u want something substantial u could board with a cement board like 12mm Hardibacker and then tape the joints.
For shelves you could use 50mm thick tile backer board like Wedi or Schluter Kerdi. With Schluter u can get tracks that it slides in to (not sure bout Wedi) and just tile it top and bottom and u can get beautiful profiles to cover the front 50mm, budget depending of course. Still tape the joints of course.
Having said that if there is no chance of moisture, as long as your stud work is solid just use green plasterboard and tape all the joints and it should be fine.

S

silverpuma

If u want something substantial u could board with a cement board like 12mm Hardibacker and then tape the joints.
For shelves you could use 50mm thick tile backer board like Wedi or Schluter Kerdi. With Schluter u can get tracks that it slides in to (not sure bout Wedi) and just tile it top and bottom and u can get beautiful profiles to cover the front 50mm, budget depending of course. Still tape the joints of course.
Having said that if there is no chance of moisture, as long as your stud work is solid just use green plasterboard and tape all the joints and it should be fine.
thanks 3-fall, sorry for being a numpy but when you say tape the joints what type of tape is that?

S

silverpuma

Are you on our plumbing forum?
No Dan although I ran my own Plumbing and heating business 35 years ago. I then after 8 years started a construction firm and then had to retire 7 years ago so I've been out of the plumbing day to day loop for decades. All this plastic pipe instead of copper makes me nervous :). An old dinosaur from the old days....LOL

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
No Dan although I ran my own Plumbing and heating business 35 years ago. I then after 8 years started a construction firm and then had to retire 7 years ago so I've been out of the plumbing day to day loop for decades. All this plastic pipe instead of copper makes me nervous :). An old dinosaur from the old days....LOL
I think that's the general feeling for plastic to be honest. No professional likes it.

P

p4ulo

Don't forget to prime the walls before tiling.
If they are a bit too lumpy for you to get the tiles flat easily, you could always get the walls skimmed?
Piece of cake then....
As above, tanking in shower area (BAL do a decent priced full kit too), and Concrete boards for your other jobs. Depending on how your joinery skills are, you could make 2 thick shelves from concrete boards too which you could fully tile (Hardibacker is good for this).
Good luck, keep the questions and pictures coming.

W

White Room

I wonder with the push fits how long before the rubber washers breakdown and there's leaks.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Old Codger Plumber Needs Help Tiling:-) in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
I will be tiling with 60*30 procelain tiles. They weight about 3.57kg each which is about...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB