Discuss olympic contractors ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

johnryan

hello all. not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but wasn't sure where else to put it. anyway, i just wanted to ask if anyone knew any of the tiling contractors who are doing the installation work at the olympic village. seems to me that they'll be at the finishing stage in a lot of the development there, and was hoping i may be able to get on there. is it agency work, or are there contractors subbing the work out? any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. cheers.

john

J

johnryan

yeah i saw that one too, on the job centre site. there was another at 13ph, though i'm not sure if that was the olympic site or not. not very appealing anyway. i was wondering if that was just a starting rate, that once you'd proved yourself, could be negotiated upwards. only guessing that, as it's only recently i've done any site work, so don't know that much on the subject. or even better get put on a m2 rate.

J

johnryan

i'd be glad to, but i don't really have a cv as such. i can supply references, and a brief work history. i've been self employed since the eighties, when i was a bricky, then took up tiling when i was living in israel in the mid nineties. no quals yet, but am doing the ewpa to get nvq lev 2, and tilers cscs card, though that may take a few months. i go for profiling next tuesday. based in maidstone kent. here's my website if you want a look;
John Ryan TilingMaidstone - Various

P

Pebbs

John I was over there a couple of months ago for one of the athletes village blocks. It was all 100x100 white tiles, and they were slapping them down. The rates were cheaper than cheap, the levels were out, and I walked away from the job with the client protesting in my earhole. Take my advice unless you are desperate, and I mean really desperate, do yourself a favour and skip it.

Pebbs

J

johnryan

thanks for the heads up pebbs.but i must say i didn't didn't expect an answer like that. i'd have thought it'd have been high standards on a site like that. after all the bad press coming from india, after the low building standards at the commonwealth games (tiles falling off walls etc.), you'd have thought they'd be a bit more on the ball with the standards of workmanship. by the sounds of it, i wouldn't be able to get on there anyway, but from what you say it's probably for the best.

Reply to olympic contractors ? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I was hoping to get some input/help on this situation. Background: We had 12 x 24"...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
We had our loft bathroom done a month ago and are having issues with the tiler (recommended on a...
Replies
Views
Vinny Kehoe
V
Hi, New to the forum. I'm going to be installing a new corner, shower unit with tiled walls...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
olympic contractors ?
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Tags
usa

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.