UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss one for ALAN ( AJAX ) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
The simple answer is you do get ettringite at the interface between render and plaster.

There are various reasons why this might not cause a failure. The first and most important is the level. The ettringite chrystalls are formed when moisture borne sulphate ions come into contact with calcium alluminates in the cement. The level of formation will depend on the amount of sulfate ions present. Now if you think about a wall. Firstly it is generally drier and the general direction of moisture will be from the render into the brickwork. If moisture runs the other way ettringite will form but it will also be self limiting as the water pressure will be away from the render thus forcing sulphates way from the interface. That is untill there is saturation. Secondly the weight of plaster is generally light and so gravity is unlikely to "pull" the plaster away from the render unless there ismsignificant attack which you might see with a risng dampor penetrating damp problem.Thirdly you don't exert impact and dynamic loadings to a wall.

Now let's look to the floor. The direction of moisture movement will be from the gypsum based screed toward the cement thus the concentration of sulphate ions is higher. You walk on the floor thus exerting dynamic and impact loads which will break the weakened bond at the interface. Other influences also come into play such as underfloor heating.

If you want to see an ettringite failure on a wal I shall take a pic of my kitchen wall and post it for you. The plaster is falling off the wall as I have a penetrating damp issue which I need to deal with.

The way to stop ettringite is to eliminate one of the three elements needed. The first being cement, the second being the potential contact between the cement and the third being moisture. These are dealt with by either removing the cement and using non cementitious adhesives whichis the most robust method, removing the contact by priming ideally with an epoxy primer or thirdly remove the water. This last is the hardest to do as there will always be some moisture present.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to one for ALAN ( AJAX ) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
P
Hiya I know this was 10 years ago hoping you still use the same email address and get this...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.