Discuss osb/cement-board countertop..for tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

E

ekon

Just to say that I have posted a similar question on a general DIY forum..and had a couple of some helpful posts back..but would be interested what anyone on here thinks too. (>"tpt".. if you're on here too..don't worry about answering..thnx for help in the "other place":

planning to use 600X600 tiles on 70+ cm-deep counter-top

22mm osb (already in place)..now have to fix the cement backer-board to it before tiling. The backer-board is a make called Mineret..it's what my builder's merchant stocks..its a cement-fiber board but I can't find anything on the net about it!

Q1 do I need to prime the osb before applying the adhesive and screwing down the backer-board onto it while still "wet"? if I do need to prime the backer-board first what is best product to do it with?

Q2. what do people reckon would be the best sort of adhesive for fixing backer board to osb?

Q3. Once the backer board is on and fixed/set... is there anything else to do to the backer-board before applying the tile-adhesive to it ...wet the board with a sponge?...any primer needed?

Q4. what sort/brand of S2 adhesive is best for bedding big 600mm square tiles? (high-gloss floor tiles) onto the backer board?

thanks

E

ekon

you may well be right John..I am only responsible for doing the work!."design" is her indoors! Its an old house with very thick interior walls so all the pipe-work/electrics runs at the back of the (modern) kitchen-units ..hence the extra 10 cm depth and the need to make a worktop. Units are replacements for 20+ year old ones. Last time/last countertop she chose 20cmx15cm tiles which looked ok (imho).

nb the osb I got (same builder's merchant 20 years on)..doesn't appear to be a patch on the "Sterling-board" I took out.

What would you do John..re the tiles..both size-wise and type-wise?

..anyone else feel free to chip in (scuse the pun)

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

We've had 3 different tiled worktops in 30 years and last change was to post formed laminate. Always liked mosaic or small tiles but everyone reckoned it was a tilers house!! Unless they are purpose made worktop tiles, with special pieces for edges, then they never look 100% right. But cost comes into it and wider than 600mm will be expensive. Polished porcelain have a degree of holes that will ingrain in time and never stay hygienic/clean.
At the end of the day all views expressed are personal and although I may have the Eric (as in Bristow) attitude - no offence is intended.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to osb/cement-board countertop..for tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm having a nightmare trying to establish product info from distributors. For example...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all what adhesive would you recommend for dot and dabbing foam cored backer board onto...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views
Seems alot of talk that 20kg per mtr2 is the max weight limit for plaster. Few questions 1. its...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Birthdays

Tilers Forums on FB