UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Outstanding site - please help. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Saxby76

Hi All,

I would like to say firstly what a great website this is and cant believe the time and effort some people go to to help others.:thumbsup:

A bit about myself, I am a fully qualified elctrician and keen DIYer. I have successfully tackled a garage conversion to playroom (I would like to say for my kids but i think i spend more time in there then they do) and completely gutted and replaced my kitchen and utility room. I like to think i have the skills to carry out most jobs, just sometimes lack the knowledge. I am not one to cut corners, so damn the cost i would rather do it right first time!!

And so to my queries if you will indulge me.

Firstly let me point out i have lost many an hour trawling through these forums and as such have already heeded some of the advice, however sometimes there is nothing like a response to your own questions.

I have gutted my en-suite and already have a house full of stuff to put back in it:mad2:

I now find myself at a stage where i am ready to think about prepping the floor for tiling. The floor is a 18mm chipboard floor which seems sturdy enough and i intend to screw every 200mm as per other advice on here. I have bought a 6mm no more ply backer board to put over the top.

Question number 1: There are some areas of chipboard floor which will require a self levelling compound to be put down first to give me a nice flat surface. Do i need to treat the chipboard first or can the SLC just be laid in the specific areas where it is required. Any advice on a good SLC would be appreciated? Can i just lay the no more ply backer over the top of this to manufacturers instructions?
Q2:Once the floor is down should i prime it using the manufacturers primer before i lay down the underfloor heating mat?
Q3:Once the heating mat is laid out and tested what should i put over the top of it to give a flat surface to tile to, is it another SLC and if so do i need a specific type?
Q4:presuming i follow all your advice above and am left with a nice flat surfae to tile to what adhesive should i use to stick a 450 x 450 x 10mm porcelain tile down so that i do not get any movement or cracks? What is the best grout (probably grey as the tiles are a light grey) to use to also help with movement and what thickness should there be between tiles?

That covers the floor; i am also re-doing a section of the wall where the shower enclosure will sit. I have bought 12mm no more ply and intend to replace the sections of plasterboard that the tiles within the enclosure will fix to.

Q1: I was not going to plaster the no more ply, although this will leave a slight difference when it joins to the plasterboard walls outside the enclosure. Can this difference be made up comfortably with tile adhesive?
Q2: Assuming i dont need to plaster the no more ply, do i need to prime it. I was going to tank the no more ply with the Dunlop tanking kit sold at Screwfix which a number of forum users have recommended before tiling?
Q3: Advice on the best adhesive and grout to use on the walls throughout the bathroom with a 400 x 300mm ceramic tile fitted brickwork style, for a reasonably confident but lets be honest novice tiler?
Q4: Can anyone recommend a good sealant to use at all the joints? i have seen cornertape on here and was going to use that as sealant is my pet hate(nomally involves lots of swearing and 'calm down dear' from the wife) and this seems to make it look easy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and i look forward to getting some responses.

Cheers.

Neil.

S

Scott

Welcome to the forum

You will need a latex SLC to allow for any movement in the floor. I would advise priing the floor prior to laying it, butcheck the manufactures instructions. It will probably say prime. The same SLC is required for the UFH, but check is suitable for the heating.

I havent used NMP myself so cant really comment on the methods used for laying or for plastering it.
As for adhesives use a cement based flexible adhesive. These are powdered and need to be mixed. You can get ane extended set scuh as keraflex maxi from mapei. The pot life once mixed is around 8 hours. Same tih the grout use a flexible one.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Outstanding site - please help. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
I have the old stock no more ply down unprimed. (Their new stock comes pre-primed). Mapei...
Replies
Views
Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.