UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss over boarding with marmox in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

johnryan

starting a job on thursday, and want to over board plasterboard with marmox. will use keraflex to adhere it, then screws and washers to screw through to the stud, probably every 150-200 mm. the question i wanted to ask, is should i use 6mm or 10mm board. im pretty sure the studs are at 400mm, as the house was built 10 years ago, and wouldn't have thought they'd have put them at 600mm, though haven't checked that yet. or of course if anyone has a better idea that would also be greatly appreciated. and if the studs are spaced at 600mm, would i need to go with a thicker board than 10mm? tiles going on are 600x600 porc, and are very heavy. 32kg per mtr, not including addy, so around 38-40kg in total. also, if anyone knows a good supplier in the mid kent area, as i normally use ctd, and as far as im aware, they only do wedi, which is quite a lot more expensive, though i'd be happy if someone could correct me on that point. this could be a lovely looking bathroom when finished, and you may see me having a try for jotm with this one. don't really get much work like this, so could be a long wait till my next chance. i've done work for them before, and they've given me free reign on what i do more or less, so an opportunity to try something a bit special. anyway, have to go for my back rub now, be back soon. cheers

john

S

Stewart

Re: overboardine with marmox

I would remove plaster board and use 12.5 mm Marmox that comes in 2.4 x 06 sheets, screwed directly to the stud work and tape the joints in the wet area's. You could also use hardie backer board or 10 mm no more ply, but you would have to tank the wet area's. Another benefit of removing plaster board, is being able to alter the stud-work to suit the boards and install dwang/noggins where you need them for rads, sink, toilet, screen and units....

J

johnryan

I would remove plaster board and use 12.5 mm Marmox that comes in 2.4 x 06 sheets, screwed directly to the stud work and tape the joints in the wet area's.
i suggested removing the plasterboard, but they're reluctant to do that, as they wanted there to be as little mess as possible. it's an en-suite, and the bedroom is in use. do you think it's essential to remove the plasterboard? if i insist, they'll go with what i say, but i thought overboarding would be an easy way of avoiding demolition work, though i can see it would be very handy to be able to add extra studs or noggins if i did take the plasterboard off. i want to stick to marmox or wedi too, as they hold a lot of weight, plus they don't suffer water damage.

J

johnryan

I'd agree with Stewart.

Also, with the addition of a Marmox board the tiles will be finishing proud of the architrave (not a good look, IMO).

Daz

that wont be a problem, as that's coming off, and wont be going back on. i don't want anything spoiling my tiles when they go on. thanks for the info on marmox from uheat, i'll go and check now :thumbsup:

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to over boarding with marmox in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Friendly
I'm going to be installing Marmox multi boards, on two (internal walls) I'll use 4mm, just so I...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.