Discuss Over boarding? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Russell brown

I've got a kitchen floor to tile with a porcelain tile. The floor at the minute is t&g chipboard which I'm planning on over boarding. The two questions I have is would you use ply or hardibacker board as I've never used it but as height is an issue would 6mm be good enough? As there's no deflection. Also normally I only overboard bathrooms and as I have normally taken the flooring up to re route pipes I don't charge them to overboard the flooring. What do people carge per metre? I've got just under 30m2 to do.

Russ

S

Stef

Fixing Hardi isn't difficult. Stick it down with a single part adhesive, Hardi say non flex, most of us use flexi tho. Then screw down in pre marked spaces on the board. Just stagger your joints. I find it best to pre drill and countersink first.

What screws you using?
I've never pre drilled Hardie, I use turbo golds or reisser cutter & they drive in fine.

R

RDTiling

I usually use ply, never used hardibacker before, is the cost around the same and is it fixed the same?

Hardie wlll cost you more to buy than the ply wood, but it is a far superior product to plywood.

With the issues you have in the height department, Hardie will solve that too.

It is fitted i line with how others have said, or you could look at fitting DItra over the chipboard, however that again would push up the costs.

S

Stef

Russell ,if you can ply you can hardie, it's easier and better

Definitely, it's probably one of those jobs that are easier than they look.
I mix my adhesive up wetter than normal & lay board then walk over it & screw it down tight.
I'm dreading the repeat customer phone call that's been laid on Hardie, to go back & rip up floor as they don't like the tiles now.
Those floors ain't budging.

R

RDTiling

Think I'm going to go with ply. I've not seen hardi backer done, until then I'll go with what I know and just screw a 4" centres. I'm not saying ply is better Im just not sure I'll do hardi backer right until I've seen someone do it.

Once you have laid the boards and taped the joints, it should look something like this.

image.jpg

Reply to Over boarding? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I’ve got 3/4” MDF over 1-1/2” t&g car decking, over 6x8” joists on 48” centers. All solid, good...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Renovated the bathroom on my 1970 bungalow last year. Took up the old pink floor tiles with sds...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can't seem to find a solid answer as I realise so much depends on multiple factors. I'm...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB