Discuss Overboarding - Need a quick answer please! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

diamondtiling

Ive always spaced at 6" intervals (ish) That's 150mm in new money :smilewinkgrin:

Now then....:eek:fftopic:slightly....Plywood - surely you don't install18mm ply ON TOP of existing floorboards?? I know this may have been raised before but as I'm a newbie I thought I'd bring it up. I usually use 12/15mm depending on quality of floorboards.

Back to topic ................ :thumbsup:

Remove the existing chipboard or T&G and replace with 18mm WBP, add extra noggins for strength and overboard with 6mm NMP.

Copy (2) of Photo-0075.jpg Copy (2) of Photo-0069.jpg

:thumbsup:

D

david campbell

i would remove floor boards and replace with 25mm ply and extra noggins
ditto 12mm ply is not sufficient,the ply is not only for a suitable tiling surface but takes into account the moisture and drying out times of the adhesive,so if the ply is too thin then the adhesive won't dry out to spec and you become liable-read the instructions on the adhesive bags-all but webber's anti-dust recommend 15mm or more

i would remove floor boards and replace with 25mm ply and extra noggins
ditto 12mm ply is not sufficient,the ply is not only for a suitable tiling surface but takes into account the moisture and drying out times of the adhesive,so if the ply is too thin then the adhesive won't dry out to spec and you become liable-read the instructions on the adhesive bags-all but webber's anti-dust recommend 15mm or more

The instructions on my adhesive (Weber rapid SPF) says that 9mm ply can be used on floors with no notable deflection. My floor was sound but for peace of mind I screwed the boards down so using 12mm Ply and 10mm marmox board on top should be adequate.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi action,15mm ply is advised or abover however i have yet to find anywhere that sells 15mm ply,18mm ply being thelatter option, so i would reccommend removing boards as diamond suggests and adding noggins and laying 18mm .

i dont reccomend to customersd the 12mm route however im sure you may well be safe enough if the sub floor was solid , in regards to 9mm being advised and also may i poit out a local large tile company sells 5.5mm ply to tilers botht these thicknesses of ply are not suitable

hope it works out okay for you

G

Gazzer

The instructions on my adhesive (Weber rapid SPF) says that 9mm ply can be used on floors with no notable deflection. My floor was sound but for peace of mind I screwed the boards down so using 12mm Ply and 10mm marmox board on top should be adequate.
In that case I would have used a 6mm backer board. Perfect surface to tile to. IMO plywood has had its day and with costs rising backerboards are a better alternative. ...Save the forests :thumbsup:

Reply to Overboarding - Need a quick answer please! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
Hi all, first post. I’m currently doing a job on my house where we’ve moved the kitchen and...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Overboarding - Need a quick answer please!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.