Discuss packing out mosaic borders in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

L

lip city

Hi lads, a small quiery for any top pros out there, was just wondering how other people tackle this problem, customers who want a mosaic border around the middle ov the room that is thinner than the tiles? Iv been tiling a few years now but still haven't been able to work out the best way to do this. I suppose it depends upon the thickness of tiles or how flat the walls are etc, iv tried almost every method I can think ov, (mosaic packers, puting cut pieces ov tiles around the room then popping them out and filling with grout then tapping mosaic in) etc but was just wondering how the top pros do this and if I was missing a trick here. Any detailed reply would be much appreciated. Thanks

L

lip city

Yeah fill with grout if for example it was just 1 row ov a small border in the past I have used cut tiles the same size a the mosaic then popped them off when the tiles above are set and filling the small gap with grout and this is enough to hold the border in place. If there is a bigger border going around I have bought some tile and grout in 1 and used that for extra strenght to hold the bigger mosaic. Hope this makes sense and any advice is much appreciated.

B

bugs183

Just forget to put the mosaics in at all!!
I use a couple of methods Lip.
First is fix the main tiles and cut neat tiles off a gauge to space the gaps where the mosaics are to go.
Then i can sometimes use 5mm Schluter Kerdi board to pack out the back and then mosaic over after.
Or, god how do i explain this.
Cut a template out of a cut piece of tile that has a lip sticking out the thickness of a mosaic, this lip should be the width of the mosaic border.
Run rapid setting white adhesive into the gap where the mosaics are to go and cut this adhesive back with the profile just made.
If its done right the profile will fill the border are with adhesive, but cut back enough adhesive so that once set you can stick mosaics flush with the thicker tiles.
I hope it makes sense.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

This is one way using adhesive

Attachments

• 031.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 133
  • 032.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 133
  • 033.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 131
L

lip city

Thanks for that mate, iv also tried something along the lines of ur first method, filling the gap with cut 6inch white but by doing this it can be to much therefore Iv had to build the rest ov the normals tiles right out which is a hassle to say the least. I lyk the sound ov ur 2nd idea which makes perfect sense mate, can't believe I never thought ov that!! Haha. Problem solved mate thanks a lot.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Just forget to put the mosaics in at all!!
I use a couple of methods Lip.
First is fix the main tiles and cut neat tiles off a gauge to space the gaps where the mosaics are to go.
Then i can sometimes use 5mm Schluter Kerdi board to pack out the back and then mosaic over after.
Or, god how do i explain this.
Cut a template out of a cut piece of tile that has a lip sticking out the thickness of a mosaic, this lip should be the width of the mosaic border.
Run rapid setting
white adhesive into the gap where the mosaics are to go and cut this adhesive back with the profile just made.
If its done right the profile will fill the border are with adhesive, but cut back enough adhesive so that once set you can stick mosaics flush with the thicker tiles.
I hope it makes sense.

someone had a good step by step set of pics showing this, think it may have been @Phil Hobson but can't remember....

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I've used this method in recent months, just out of interest, do you let the base spread of adhesive set then put a thin layer on before the mosaics or, put the mosaic straight onto one layer of adhesive? Hope that makes sense!

I do Bri, I let the rapid set go off then spread the adhesive allowing for a thin bed for the mosaic as Nick and Mark. I have put loads of pics on here, but can't find them atm.:thumbsup:

Reply to packing out mosaic borders in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Looking for advice on how much adhesive to use. I’ve taken on my first tiling project and found...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I live in Cyprus. Bought a new build top floor flat a couple of years ago with a roof...
Replies
Views
Hi am tiling a wet room with 5mm thick porcelain mosaic tiles (hexagons 5x5cm). The wet room is...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB