Discuss Painters, almost walked. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stef

Had a walk round a job I'm starting next week, kitchen is 75m2 floor & bathroom/wetroom is 50m2 with 900 Porcelanosa ceramics.
1 & a half of the walls are painted (old) & I advised the client that the paint has to be removed. She phoned the painter & he tells her on the phone "tile it I'm sure it will be fine".
I almost blew my top & told her I don't tell the painter his job & I don't expect him to tell me mine.
He then proceeds to tell her "just get it plastered then"
I start banging on about weight limits & even the plasterer tells her that your adding more weight to the wall with the plaster.
Getting the paint removed tomorrow or I was off...

S

Stef

What worries me is that the customer doesn't have the confidence in what you were saying , well done for sticking to your guns

This painter has worked for her for years & I've turned up last week & only just met her today.
The boss of the company that's doing the extension/renovation told her after I said my piece that she has to listen to me as I worked for him years ago & know my job inside out.
Can't wait to meet the painter.. [emoji6]

C

Colour Republic

Hold on just one minute.

how the hell is it the painters fault? Now did you offer to remove the paint yourself? Or just ask her to get it removed?

if the latter then you can understand why she might have phoned the painter... i.e. Hello mr painter can you remove the old paint from the walls... You know the walls you didn't paint? He might just ask why and then offer up that A) it might be costly and B) he's seen countless tilers tile over old paint. C) ahh he wants a plastered surface? Might be cheaper to get it skimmed then rather than us sanding down all the walls back to plaster.

That doesn't make his advice right but he's not telling you how to do your job he's just relaying his experience back to the client. Now if every tiler refused to tile over old paint then it would become common knowledge, yet most don't and it isn't.

Don't shoot the painter just yet... If fact tilers can cause untold issues to painters with the use of silicone because they aren't aware of the products out there which will satisfy both trades. It's the same the industry over, trades will always moan about others because they don't understand what the other does... Not that you're expected to. (We'll unless you multi-trade that is :lol: )

besides there is nothing to say you can't tile over paint, you just can't tile of failing paint, or poorly bonded paint.

S

Stef

Hold on just one minute.

how the hell is it the painters fault? Now did you offer to remove the paint yourself? Or just ask her to get it removed?

if the latter then you can understand why she might have phoned the painter... i.e. Hello mr painter can you remove the old paint from the walls... You know the walls you didn't paint? He might just ask why and then offer up that A) it might be costly and B) he's seen countless tilers tile over old paint. C) ahh he wants a plastered surface? Might be cheaper to get it skimmed then rather than us sanding down all the walls back to plaster.

That doesn't make his advice right but he's not telling you how to do your job he's just relaying his experience back to the client. Now if every tiler refused to tile over old paint then it would become common knowledge, yet most don't and it isn't.

Don't shoot the painter just yet... If fact tilers can cause untold issues to painters with the use of silicone because they aren't aware of the products out there which will satisfy both trades. It's the same the industry over, trades will always moan about others because they don't understand what the other does... Not that you're expected to. (We'll unless you multi-trade that is :lol: )

besides there is nothing to say you can't tile over paint, you just can't tile of failing paint, or poorly bonded paint.

So the painter telling her it will be fine will be good for me to tile then??
"If" the tiles fell off then she could go back to the painter & get him to fix it or he will offer to pay me for the repair..
Read my post, he has stated that it will be fine!!!
Oh & for the record I refuse to silicone to architraves etc until the painter is finished or I just use deco fill...

C

Colour Republic

So the painter telling her it will be fine will be good for me to tile then??
"If" the tiles fell off then she could go back to the painter & get him to fix it or he will offer to pay me for the repair..
Read my post, he has stated that it will be fine!!!
Oh & for the record I refuse to silicone to architraves etc until the painter is finished or I just use deco fill...

I did read your post. Did he state it would be fine or did he tell the home owner who he has worked for years that he'd seen other tilers tile over paint and didn't understand the problem?

I question why he would have suggested skiming over if he wasn't trying to be helpful with costs and telling the home owner as such. As I said above, it doesn't make what he said right, but there is a difference between somebody giving their opinion when asked and telling another trademens how to do their job. I bet you've giving you opinion on something that you've percieved to be correct as you've seen it countless times, that doesn't mean you were right either.

As for siliconing 'after' the painter has done their job. Still not good as it just delays the problem until a later date and heaps more cost when it comes to redecoration.

Not having a go at you Stef but I just dislike seeing other trades given stick when they might not deserve it. Maybe he did deserve it... Maybe he was being an arse but i've seen how things get lost in translation, especially when it goes through a customer who only grasps the basics of what's being said.

I've had a similar situation recently between myself and another firm where the conversation was being played out via the client... it all started to get very messy until finally I said let me talk to the other guys directly... 10 minutes later it was all sorted, they understood exactly where I was coming from, and I understood their concerns. Job done

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Painters, almost walked. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views
My mum is having her bathroom fitted and she sent me some photos and my partner pointed out that...
Replies
Views
I'm having my kitchen renovated and the tiler came last week and did the floor tiles. They're...
Replies
Views
I was quoted over £4700 (inclusive of VAT) to rip out and replace my bathroom. This does not...
Replies
Views
Hello, I would start wit ha little back story. We've both a house where the main bathroom begged...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB