Discuss Part time tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

R

RDTiling

Hi all.

In my intro (a few months ago) I was looking at making the move from office work into tiling. Whilst I've not been posting I do read the forums most nights.

Now that I've got finances in order I am almost ready to go...I've managed to set up getting some experience with a tiler friend of mine at weekends.

Obviously it's quite a risky move, going from a steady income to something not quite so steady. I am now considering staying on at my current job Monday- Wednesday and then tiling Thursday to Sunday, until I am in position to tile full time.

I am curious as to what current tilers thought of this, particularly on whether is 4 days enough time to allow me to tile a "standard" kitchen or bathroom? My concerns with this is what if I need to use plaster on walls or self levelling on a floor, as this means I can't tile until these are fully set. The last thing I want to do is rush a job, as I don't want to ruin my reputation, as this wouldn't be an easy thing to rebuild.

Any thought or suggestions are welcome.

M

Marksmithtiling

Difficult one this, I've just done the opposite. I have taken another job leaving Mon Tues Weds free for tiling work. There are so many things that can mess up the timings of jobs when you have other commitments. relying on other trades to finish on time etc. There is no point telling a customer you can do the job,the plumber for example, doesn't finish on time and you cant tile in the time left so customer has no bathroom till you can get back there next week. As above stick to small jobs. Good luck

R

RDTiling

Thanks all. I appreciate it is a difficult one.

i guess that if I am honest with any customer at the outset then that way there are no surprises.

Im prepared to work on the Wednesday evening to do some of the prep work, such as removing old tiles etc.

id like to be able just to switch to full time tiling, but I've seen so many posts on here that says work is slow at the moment, so this was a good middle ground (in my head anyway!)

R

RDTiling

Great advice. Just from speaking to friends and family over the past few weeks, I've managed to get the chance to do a few tiling jobs for them, including a bathroom floor, kitchen floor and 3 full bathrooms.

They all know of my intentions of starting out part-time, so I guess there is less pressure with them from a time point of view, plus an excellent opportunity to gain experience.

CJ

TF
Arms
Somerset
I started out part time as well. Funnily enough, that was in Edinburgh as well.

i worked for Royal Mail as a postie. (Part Time) and then after doing a delivery and finishing at 10am (if I went in early, and went like stink on my round)
trouble is........I used it as a cushion for too long, and never went "full time" tiling. Until I moved from Edinburgh.
5 years of getting up at silly o'clock for the PO....then going out tiling, no wonder I look knackered now.

Reply to Part time tiling in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I am a first time homeowner bathroom remodeler & tiler. I'm ready to waterproof my seams and...
Replies
Views
I’m halfway through tiling a shower cubicle at home. First time doing any tiling. I’ve used...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I am wondering if someone would be able to help me out/explain something. We had a...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone, I've been at a stall in my bathroom reno most of this year mainly due to work...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB