UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss pics of 1st job under my belt! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Prem Tiler

didn't think i'd have the ball's to do this but in for a penny in for a pound. here it is.

Attachments

• 16th march 09.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Plimpsol 16th march 09.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 87
  • Plimpsol 16th march 09 x2.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 98
P

Prem Tiler

band was my idea. customer wanted the whole kitchen in glass but I didn't fancy cutting all that glass so I talked them in to just a glass boarder. I didn't realise how hard planning the rise over the cooker would be but glad i did it now.

In hindsight i'd of done it diffrent but I learnt a thousand lessons on the job it's self. all good.

huge thanks to everyone who gave me tips b4 I started. and to chris.tiling for on the job advise:hurray:

P

Prem Tiler

Well done Dean, personally I'd have dispensed with the border if possible as it throws the lines out of kilter in the main area below cooker hood.:thumbsup:

That's what i meant. If i'd of done it like this

i'd of had to cut every tile above the line. would of looked good but not in ceramics.

cheers anyway Dougie

Attachments

• plimpsol line.bmp
    639.8 KB · Views: 51
P

Prem Tiler

Only one question ( pointer ) : Did you silicone around tile / worktop joint afterwards ?
Looks a bit patchy in picture ? :thumbsup:

check you out!! been zooming in?? lol

no thats just a little grout that I'll drag out when I go back to silicone on the weekend. didn't want to do it while the grout wasn't totally gone off. and I couldn't hang about I had to get back to work.

W

wetdec

Good effort for first one imo.

General pointers :

If you cant cut borders in without altering datums dont do it, joints get out of wack so instead of looking clean it looks too busy.

Silicone or edging around work tops make the finish a lot cleaner.

Always complete tiles to skirtin level when finishing to architrave this saves having a daft looking strip of paint and makes a good finish.

The distance between work top and wall units is 18 3/8 inches, borders usually run max two and a half tiles any higher they dont balance

When cutting designs or borders in you never have open cut edges over cookers the oil and steam will make a mess of them in no time.

Starting with a full tile off the work top is a short cut to avoid cutting sockets in, finish is more important than speed and if you work top drops away you will have problems.

Kitchens are about balance and lines tiles are there not to finish it but to add to it. A person walking in should say nice units, nice tiles, nice floor not nice kitchen.........imo

:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to pics of 1st job under my belt! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hello! I'm buying natural stone for floor in my house. Wife would like to do a French pattern...
Replies
Views
Hi there, We have red quarry tiles in our indoor entrance hall and my wife would like to paint...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to assess what prep is needed on the walls for my kitchen backsplash. We'll be...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.