Discuss pin holes in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

W

weg2727

Hi

Thanks to all those that helped on my last thread.

I've bull-nosed honed travertine tiles around a window, filled the holes with Mapei grout. The larger holes are fine, there is still a little indentation after rubbing down even after filling twice and using 600 w&d. But my main probelm is all the little pin holes (and there's lots) the grout does not seem fine enough to fill these.
Your help and advise as always is very much appreciated
Cheers
Stu

K

Knackered Knees

Grouting unfilled trav can be a chore at times Sigh! The best way that I've found to minimise bubbles in the grout is to always let your grout 'Slake' for 10 minutes after mixing,this allows all the excess air to escape, leaving your grout mix nice and dense. If you use a power mixer to mix your grout always mix it on a slow speed say under 300rpm this will also stop excess air entering the grout mix.

U

user123

Hi Stu, I don't recall your previous thread, so hope I'm not giving you conflicting advice here. The pinholes happen when the mix was too watery and/or been mixed on too fast a setting, mixing air into it. The only mosaicist's trick I know of rather than regrouting the whole thing again is to dampen the grout lines and then rub dry grout powder into it - the moisture will mix with the powder and fill the holes. Leave to dry and settle well before final clean up. Please note, this is not what should have to happen, next time use less water, but it might just help you out of this particular nuisance. :thumbsup:

Reply to pin holes in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Hi all, new here and I need some desperate help. Recently got my dad to tile my kitchen...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, Please help me. Really having a nightmare here. Just moved into a new house and the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. First time poster and tile diy. Thanks in advance for any and all help, tidbits...
Replies
Views
TilersForums.com has been online since 2006 and we've had many designs, even three forum...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
pin holes
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.