Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Plasplugs wet tile cutter - it sucked! in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com.

S

STEVEROG

I recently borrowed a plasplugs wet tile cutter from a friend to cut some floor tiles. In his opinion this was a pukka bit of kit, easy to use etc, he did not have a bad word to say. I cut a few tiles with it but had real problems. Here is how it went...

Tried to cut the tiles by sliding them along a fixed straight edge to get things dead straight but this did not seem to work. The cut seemed to have a mind of its own and I just could not get a straight cut. The cut seemed to wander off my pencil line with an ever increasing error as I cut further into the tile. I then noticed that the guide behind the cutting wheel (also holds the blade guard) was not exactly in line with the cutting wheel. I sorted this out but the tiles still did not cut straight, exactly the same problem as before. I then tried cutting without the straight edge and also without the guard but still no way to get a straight cut. I can only guess that the cutting wheel is somehow not quite straight.

Maybe this plasplugs tile cutter is past its best, but then just maybe the plasplugs products sucks!

Steve

C

cornish_crofter

It also depends how they are treated.

I recently bought a new master tiler from B&Q. It was self assembly. I had to fit the blade and the guard myself and make sure the guard support was lined up behind the blade, so the cut tile didn't foul it.

The set up is very easy to damage/put out. if the cutter is just thrown in the shed/garage/van etc.

They need to be stored properly. This is not a problem unique to the Plasplugs cutters.

M

mikethetile

i had similar problems when i started using mine about 8 yrs ago

i threw the guide away as it was hopeless and learnt to cut straight by eye

the secret is to feed the tile slow so its cutting at its own pace

i use a rail cutter for straight lines and repeat cuts and use the plasplugs just for trimming and cutting out corners etc

i never intended to keep it this long but it just keeps on running so it stays

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Staffordshire, UK
Just bumping some of the tiling tools related threads. This thread might not be current discussion, if it isn't, just ignore this, and it'll soon drop off the list. Don't worry if you bring it back into current discussion yourself though, the content within it could be useful for somebody. So feel free to add to it if you have something valuable to add.

Reply to Plasplugs wet tile cutter - it sucked! in the Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters) area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

HI FOLKS. LOOKING TO EXPAND ON MY TILING TOOLS AND INVEST IN A WET TILE CUTTER. WITH SO MANY...
Replies
Views
Hello, I hope you can help. I'm get despondent cutting 9mm glazed porcelain tiles, 300 x 900mm...
Replies
Views
I have a wet tile cutter and am about to use it quite a lot as have loads of cuts to do and...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to...
Replies
Views
Advice Hi guys, got some 60cmx60cm porcelain tiles to lay in a hallway with a modular pattern...
Replies
Views

Popular Tile Cutter Threads

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Plasplugs wet tile cutter - it sucked!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
Tile Cutters (Manual & Wet Cutters)
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond