Discuss Plasterer learning to tile in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

Hi i made a post im the dit section but i dont think anybody reads there so if mods could delete that please. Basically im doing a plastering course at college which i really enjoy. Im thinking way ahead but when im out on my own how do alot of spreads learn to tile as it seems very popular with plasterers thank you.
who ever is telling you this is pulling your leg as most of you given the choice would rather eat there own balls than try to tile on what they left behind. thats why most tilers spend so much time putting right what you left behind and the adhesive guys love you lott

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

I plaster, render, screed, because I had to learn as an apprentice tiler. But I am a tiler and would not try to compete with a real spread, sadly there are not many real plasterers around anymore same goes for real tilers, the trades are dying imo.

Our once respected tradesmen are a dying breed, the skills are being diluted, not taking anything away from people who have come through courses, but I do think the old ways produced true bona-fide craftsmen who were judged by their peers, and the old school guys did not suffer fools or dress things up, they told it like it was.

I have met and worked with hundreds of tilers from all over the UK and many parts of the world, a lot of them talk a good job. But fall short of being the real deal. Very sad, but very true.

P

Plastertile

I never mentioned plaster onto board a said spread / screw boards. I know weight rates ive read olis guide ahat happend to my post Bout tiling being part of the plastering trade. My tutor told me tiling is not a trade and tilers have been crying out for years for it to be a trade but it will will never happen because its so easy to learn. Ive more respect than than that towards tilers thats why i came here asking for advice on the best way to learn the trade.

T

Much repsect to phil you sound like a real craftsman and thats what id like to be to. I just dont appreciate people labbled a cowboy and home wreacker for wanted to better myself.

No probs mate, but tiling is and always was a trade, nothing to do with plastering.

I served a five year apprenticeship and have spent 47 years before being rewarded with this.

Attachments

• IMG_1643.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 70
P

Plastertile

Im 21 so got a few years apprenticeship yet. Nice cerficate phil i take it thats the old way of spelling tilers. 47 years thats something to be proud of. Very unprofesional the attidude my tutors give about tiling saying it wasnt a trade and never will be because you can can to tile in a week all well ill stick to my plastering and see how it gos from there. Congrazmagain phil you should be proud i suspect after 47 years your knees and back are aching

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
No probs mate, but tiling is and always was a trade, nothing to do with plastering.

I served a five year apprenticeship and have spent 47 years before being rewarded with this.

You'll be dining out for years on that one Phil!!!

Seriously though, nothing wrong in wanting to learn to tile. What it will do is teach you to make walls plumb and a flat plane for you to tile on. You'll then realise what crap we have to work with after plasterers have been in to put either new walls in or tidy up old walls

T

Im 21 so got a few years apprenticeship yet. Nice cerficate phil i take it thats the old way of spelling tilers. 47 years thats something to be proud of. Very unprofesional the attidude my tutors give about tiling saying it wasnt a trade and never will be because you can can to tile in a week all well ill stick to my plastering and see how it gos from there. Congrazmagain phil you should be proud i suspect after 47 years your knees and back are aching

Just a few aches and pains, but we all get used to them. Tiling is a very highly skilled trade bordering on art at times. I wish you well with your career, if I can help you in anyway please feel free to ring me.

Regards, Phil.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Learn plastering 1st mate (plastering is much much much more than a bit of skimming and a bit of board) unfortunately , like phil said, very well, not like the rest of the muppets, all trades are very diluted, i served 4 years plastering(we did tiling as well, as plasterers around the ribble valley seemed to do this)and learnt all aspects, but was still learning after and still am now!
Nearly 30 years now, i tile mostly now, something i ve picked up more and more all these years,my lads do the plastering.
You will find folk in every trade who think they are royalty, especially on forums , try and ignore em, try its hard

Hey dont take offence plastertile :). Hostorically it was painters who used to do the basic tiling on stuff like council housing. However in the 26 yrs I've been doing the job it has completely changed. Honestly , if you could learn to plaster as well as the old gaurd used to do it, you'd have more than enough work to worry about without even thinking about tiling.

Diggy :+)

D

Diamond Pool Finishers

Plaster tile good luck mate with your courses , i was a plasterer turned tiler many years ago, and i think we have a few bitter and twisted guys on this forum, they are running scared of a bit of course /foreign competition , once you are a full confident tradesman like me ,you are not scared of any-other tradesman as you are at ease that you are good at your trade,! , so don't listen to any guys putting you down about doing a course, some of the best tilers on this forum have come from courses , and as Phil says there are a lot out there who talk a good job...... stick around on the forum and hang-in there we need new blood on this forum ........

Reply to Plasterer learning to tile in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Grouting my shower walls in a few days. I tried to do everything by the book, which I did. Water...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I've had a bit of an issue on a job I've been doing recently. We finished tiling on...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I have a 1940's semi and i have been redecorating my front room, no its my own...
Replies
Views
Sorry for asking a question that I already think i know the answer to but I just need...
Replies
Views
Hi Help me please, I am currently in a care home as a Result of a Head Injury in 2001.The 2...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB