Discuss Please Help a Frustrated DIYer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

shneld

Hello everyone.

I would really really appreciate some pointers/help please.

I'm tiling my bathroom with 600x300mm tiles, about 10mm thick, for a start, I don't think I have chosen the best tiles to use for my first attempt?

I have done one wall, all is ok.

I have started to tile the adjoining wall, problem is the walls are not plumb, surprise surprise :mad2::mad2:

As I have worked my way up the wall, the gap between the two wall/tiles is getting bigger and bigger (too small to get a tile in but big enough not to be covered up by the silicone)

I set out the tiles, so as to avoid awkward cuts, I have laid them in a 'brick wall' fashion.

I don't see how I can set the tiles out on the second adjoining wall to avoid silly cuts without loosing the symmetry of the 'brick wall' idea.

I hope I have explained myself and look forward to any help :thumbsup:

Thanks

Lee

Last edited by a moderator:
S

shneld

Ok before you go any further, please dont tell me you are using ready mixed adhesive on skimmed wall with tiles that big ?

No I'm using Mapie powdered adhesive. I did some reading on here and decided not to use tubbed.

I have attached a quick sketch to help illustrate my problem. Unfortunately I cant take any pics at the mo.

The first wall worked out well, as you can see. This is drawn roughly to scale.

Attachments

• Drawing2 Model (1).pdf
    5 KB · Views: 109
S

shneld

The problem is trying to come out of the corner with a whole tile, unless the walls are dead plumb (they rarely are) you will encounter this sort of issue. If you had come out of the corner with 1/4 and a 3/4 tile you would have had the 1/4 tile extra to help overcome this issue. As a rule of thumb,never come out of a corner with a whole tile.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Bri, so are you saying there is no way to maintain the symmetry, in my case, and I will have to do as you say.
Fortunately the second wall I have removed the tiles :)

Anyone cover the St Helens area and fancy some work?

S

shneld

Only if you are 100% certain your walls are bang on.

Cheers.

Another problem I have found, I used a batten at the bottom of the wall to give me a straight edge and to support the tiles.

I have used a mosaic boarder tile half way up. Problem, is the tiles above the boarder are not very well supported and tend to sag sometime, as the boarder tile is a mosaic type and a bit flimsy.

How would you overcome this issue?

W

White Room

This method with cut tiles and leave the mosaic until last Work Picture 014.jpg

S

shneld

This method with cut tiles and leave the mosaic until last

I think I'll go with this method :thumbsup::thumbsup:

you need to make sure that the mosaics are fixed solid before tiling on top of them and you may be able to use spacers between them too

The first wall I used spacers, it worked to an extent, but not great

Either go up and place the border and leave to set or leave a gap for the border and set another batten to hold the tiles above.

Another batten did pop into my mind, wasn't sure if there was a better way.

Once again thanks to all. Was getting extremely wound up today.

S

shneld

It really depends on what the adhesive manufacturer states on the bag.

ok thanks.

Sorry just thought of another problem I came across and have yet to get around.

If you take a wall with an opening for a door, how do you ensure you maintain the same level as you go to the other side of the opening, in other words how do I make sure the batten is exactly at the right hieght.

If the door frame wasn't in place it would be ok as I could just put the level flat up against the wall.

U

user123

shneld, I must admit, I am reading this thread with frustration - just out of interest, as you are a keen diy er and I assume you know your limitations, did it not occur to you to employ one of the professional tilers who are helping you on here or other professionals on this forum to do this work which is after all a proper skilled trade? It just seems a shame that your home would not get the professional treatment it deserves - I am a keen DIYer myself and totally understand the joy of it, but tiling, with all the setting out and adhesive questions, etc, really it should be a job for people who have chosen this is a career to be proud of, don't you agree? This is not a personal attack by any means, just a sadness at the mis-comprehension by the public who do not understand what a wonderful skill good tiling is and how difficult it is to get it right.

S

shneld

I agree with what your saying, it truly is a skill, really is.

This is my first house, still living with the parents, currently renovating it.

I cant afford to pay someone :(

I have the up most respect for tiles, to be able to produce a high quality finish and not taking ages to do it or make a mess everywhere lol

The likes of tilers, plumbers, plasterers, not so much electricians, I am one, I can watch all day long as I find it fascinating watching a skilled tradesman/person at work :)

Reply to Please Help a Frustrated DIYer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Please Help a Frustrated DIYer
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.