Discuss Please Help a Frustrated DIYer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

Perry

One last question please :santa_smiley:What is the maximum depth of adhesive bed I can use.The wall is a brick wall with sand & cement render, skimmed over.I ask as there are some big dips in the surface of the wall, and I had a few lips on the first wall.
Most are only 6mm deep but as said most should tell on the bag Mapie I am not sure as I found it hard to find there info on there web site in fact I couldn't in there tec specs

Last edited by a moderator:
shneld, I must admit, I am reading this thread with frustration - just out of interest, as you are a keen diy er and I assume you know your limitations, did it not occur to you to employ one of the professional tilers who are helping you on here or other professionals on this forum to do this work which is after all a proper skilled trade? It just seems a shame that your home would not get the professional treatment it deserves - I am a keen DIYer myself and totally understand the joy of it, but tiling, with all the setting out and adhesive questions, etc, really it should be a job for people who have chosen this is a career to be proud of, don't you agree? This is not a personal attack by any means, just a sadness at the mis-comprehension by the public who do not understand what a wonderful skill good tiling is and how difficult it is to get it right.

I ripped all my old kitchen back splash last year, put in some new bits of plaster board where needed to get the surface nice for re-tiling again and got myself some nice tiles, an electric wet tile cutter, adhesive and grout, spacers and a float, sponge la de da. And I spent many hours on here reading the 'do's and don'ts'. Couldn't wait to get started on my new shiny tiles...after all, what could go wrong? answer, everything!
After placing the tenth tile on and wasting 3 tiles trying to cut round a plug socket, and some effing and blinding, I just had a brain-wave. Sod it.
I found a local wall tiler. I watched in awe as I put the kettle on and turned round to see he had over half a dozen tiles up already before it had even boiled. the back splash traverses round two windows, behind the cooker, around half a dozen sockets etc. He was so quick and skilled the way he cut round the windows and put the trims in. Came back and grouted next day and it was the cleanest and neatest finish I could imagine. Black tiles with white grout as well which would show up mistakes easily.
As my missus said to me 'it wouldn't have cost you so much if you hadn't wasted all your money on that tile cutter and the other stuff, would it?'

U

user123

:) :) :) THANK YOU!! Adventure boy, what a lovely honest post, and not one we read on here often. I am SO glad you are now happy with the tiling in your house, saved yourself so much more possible aggro and helped a professional earn his living!

I hope many many guests who come on here thinking that tiling is easy and can be done by anyone, will read this and think again. I have a HUGE smile across my face here :) :thumbsup:

S

Stef

This is not a personal attack by any means, just a sadness at the mis-comprehension by the public who do not understand what a wonderful skill good tiling is and how difficult it is to get it right.

The amount of people that have told me "tilings easy, you just stick them on the wall". If only this was true.
I totally agree there is a mis-comprehension from the general public about how skilled a job tiling is, i only wish that more people would come on a forum like this & read up about what can go wrong.

S

shneld

The amount of people that have told me "tilings easy, you just stick them on the wall". If only this was true.
I totally agree there is a mis-comprehension from the general public about how skilled a job tiling is, i only wish that more people would come on a forum like this & read up about what can go wrong.

Same with most things isn't it, plumbing, wiring etc

Nothing is as easy as it first seems.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Please Help a Frustrated DIYer in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
First time poster here. For some context, I have a (mostly finished) tiny home with some really...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Please Help a Frustrated DIYer
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.