Discuss Please help! Bathroom Ruined! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com.

K

Kirsty0304

We had our bathroom redone in March and it looked great with floor to ceiling white tiles. But in May, we notices that one of the tiles above the bath had started to go darker than the rest of the tiles. It has now turned completely grey and sticks out like a sore thumb. I feel like our bathroom is ruined. Bathroom Faulty Tile.jpg

I contacted the shop we got the tiles from (not naming names) and the manager came out. He tried to tell me i had a leak and that's what caused the discolouration but i disagreed as its only one tile, and if it had been a leak, surly more tiles would be the same. He said he would fill out a quality form and send it to the quality manager. It was at the point i notices a flaw in the tile that i pointed out to him. Its only noticeable at very close inspection, smaller than a five pence piece, and looks like a bobble under the glaze. The glaze is intacted over the tile, not cracked or damaged. But there is a definite flaw under the glaze.

I waited a month for a reply and got a letter to say that the discolouration was due to water getting into the body of the tile through a 'chip' on the surface that we caused and was not a manufacturers flaw and they will take no responsibility. I am absolutely devastated. This is not the case and the flaw is under the glaze. I disputed this and the quality manager came out himself and couldn't point out the 'chip' he noted in his letter and asked me to show him the flaw I had described on the phone when I called him about his first letter. He would not confirm or deny the 'chip' claim and said he would get back to me. He did today and said he still thinks its something we have done and not his problem.

I am so upset at his attitude. All I want is them to pay someone to replace the tile but they refuse. I have contacted trading standards and they have advised i get independent advice on the tile and then take them to small claims court. I don't know where to start. I need advice from anyone who can back us up with disputing him saying there is a chip on the tile. Can anyone please help me?

I

Ian

Hi and welcome....for the cost of paying someone to change that tile is it worth all the hassle and talk of the small claims court...just my personal opinion though.

I totally agree.

If you only had the bathroom done a few weeks ago, I'm sure the tiles are still available. Buy a couple (incase this sort of incident arises again) and have your tiler replace it, it's a couple of hours work max. Not even worth considering going down a legal route.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Leeds
Sounds daft but we are not sure. Our plumber told us if we have spare tiles he put them under the bath behind the bath panel, which he siliconed in. We would have to pay him labour to come out to remove it to find out if we do. So didnt want to do this until we knew the tile company would foot the bill first.

The plumber does know whether he put tiles underneath. He just wants more money out of you. As Whitebeam says I think you are going to cause yourself a lot of stress if you decide to take them to the small claims court. That could take weeks if not months. To knock out the tile and replace would take only a few hours allowing drying times.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Cheshire
Its more about the principle and a massive national company making false claimes to get out of footing the bill. We are not asking for a whole new refit, and just so angry at their attitiude and the fact that the tile is clearly faulty but they are blaiming us for it.

Maybe ask your tiler to put something in writing backing your claim and send it to their head office with a copy of his invoice, got to be worth a try.......

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi there,in all honesty i dont think its the shops fault,its up to the fixer to check tiles when fixing and discard any damaged or flaws that may be in the box,if the flaw is very hard to see then clearly everyone has missed it its just a minor issue that can be resolved

seems to be a 1 off in your batch and is so easily solved just ask the tiler to replace it. will take a few hours

these things happen

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Sorry if I sound a bit un sympathetic but one faulty tile hardly ruins a bathroom. It spoils it a little but is simple enough to replace. A bit of perspective please..... Even the tile supplier cannot surely be considered some sort of rogue for letting one tile through the net.

You are absolutely devastated by this ...... Just think how you would feel if your were in the sort of mess some people are in through this recession ... Also through o fault of their own. It is one tile in several hundred ......

Just get your tiler to come and replace it ........

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Could be a tiny hole in the silicone that is allowing the tile biscuit to soak water up like a sponge, if it is get the plumber back for free.

Carefuly see if the silicone has come away from the darker tile.

Beat me to it.

After the first one or two threads (and then second looking to see where the fault was) i agree it is water ingress into a ceramic tile. However, position and the fact that no tiles around it are effected would suggest that it is one of the following:

1) The seal on the bath has allowed water to be drawn under the seal. Get this looked at asap because your plasterboard wall will be drawing some in also if this is the case.

2) The small blemish you mention on the tile might be allowing an un noticeable ammount of water to pass the glaze. I'm sorry to say the tile stockist can't be to blame for either. The tiles in their batches pass a manufacturers QC line.

It would be difficult to determine which of the above is the problem. But regardless you need to get it changed asap before any serious damage occurs.

I don't want to put any ideas in anyones heads, the best thing to do is just get the fella back out and replace the tile. If he guarentees his work i can't even see you being charged for it to be honest. I wouldn't charge more than a few cups of coffee if my customer had this issue. But......was the bath filled with water prior to sealling and tiling?

Just for other information. If you find that white, clazed ceramic tiles are turning a "bluey" colour in places of water or wet areas. It is likely the "backside" of the tile is getting wet. I've had it before quite a few years ago with a faulty shower quick fix kit leaking into a studd wall. I had two columns of tiles 6 high below the valve turn a blue-ish/grey colour.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Nottingham
Grout joints and the uncut edges must be stopping it transfering, cut ceramic edges soak up water like a sponge.
If the tile was definately the same colour as the others and then darkened in time then it can be nothing else.

Last edited:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Grout joints and the uncut edges must be stopping it transfering, cut ceramic edges soak up water like a sponge.
If the tile was definately the same colour as the others and then darkened in time then it can be nothing else.

Spot on, perhaps the core of the ceramic tile is softer, so a lot more absorbant then the external surfaces of the tile.

Last edited:
It could be possible the tile was damp before it was fixed,and has just got darker . I had this once when the customer removed his old tiles but wanted them put back so l had to soak them to get the adhesive off, left them to dry after fixing the tiles they become very patchy the water had really stained them
,he wasnt please but would not pay out for fresh tiles.

I agree with ajax. Have a look on this site for pictures and threads of bathrooms that have been 'ruined', from dodgy tiles or dodgy tilers etc. I don't think its quite in the ruined bathroom category myself.

I think that this is an unfortunate isolated rogue tile problem, that almost certainly has got wet. Hopefully it is through the mark on the glaze or a small hole in the silicone (& not anything else, not that it looks like a leak or anything)

If it happened on my job i would replace the tile and re-silicone free of charge. Call the tiler, he should know if there was any spares. find or buy a tile or 2 & ask him to come around to have a look. If he has to travel more than a few miles i would definately offer the tiler £20-30quid for diesel..

Reply to Please help! Bathroom Ruined! in the Bathroom Tiling Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi everyone. I'm really hoping you all can help as I am at my wits end. We have hired...
Replies
Views
Hello! At the completion of my new kitchen tile installation, the grout I had selected (dark...
Replies
Views
Hi All I am after some advice please. We have a retrofit undefloor heating system ( Robbens...
Replies
Views
Hello. Can I take your advice please? Our groundworks company are refusing to guarantee their...
Replies
Views
New here and no knowledge of professional tiling! I had one installer do three new bathrooms. He...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB