Discuss Please help re tiling prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

si123456

HI would really appreciate any help.

Situation- Victorian house, installation of tiled bathroom( floors and walls). Currently a mixture of old and new floorboards. The floor is not level.

Have been advised to use shuns to level under shower and alter the legs for the bath.

Also ben advised to tile on the floor directly onto 18mm ply! However i am worried fixing ply onto floorboards and then a tiling on top will create a large step up from the adjoining carpeted hall.

Is this the best option???

I have done some research and found out that maybe removing the floorboards, using 18mm pl directly on to joists then hardi backer on top might give a stonger base and eliminate this step up? Whats are your suggestions. Any help greatlyappreciated.

W

Wood's better

It is not a good idea to reduce the joists!! They would already be under size by todays standards. (Victorian house) Can you take up all existing floorboards and re-do with 25mm ply?

Old floor is probably 20mm ?? so only raised by 5mm, then add hardi or whatever you want to use. Depending on what UFH it is you may want to use the special insulation boards instead of the Hardi

Hope it helps

Richard.

There is another way of stengthening the floor: glue 18mm ply BETWEEN joists fitted to 25 x 50 battens glued and screwed to the side of the joists, then only 18mm on top.
(this would still be ripping the old up)

Put hardi on top and away you go

D

Deleted member 9966

I've just recently had my bedroom carpeted with a 10mm thick underlay and at least 10mm thickness of carpet and I actually now step down into my en-suite bathroom from the bedroom. When we tiled the en-suite floor we layed hardibacker boards over the existing floorboards and used 10mm thick tiles plus addy. So all in all, once the carpet starts to settle down, everything should be the same level through the two rooms. Just a bit of experience that is worth bearing in mind in these situations :)

D

Daz

Obviously, without being able to see the room etc. this advise is based on my assumptions.

I would remove the existing floorboards and add some extra noggins between all the joists to help eliminate deflection. Overboard with 18mm wbp plywood, cover that with 6mm cement lined insulation board such as Wedi or Marmox (glued & screwed). Fix UFH and cover with a latex floor smoothing compound, then tile.

By my reckoning the floor height will be:

ply - 18mm
insulation board - 6mm
UFH + SLC - 4mm
tiles & addy - 12mm

Total = 40mm
When you take into account the existing 22mm floorboards and carpet? height of the adjoining room, that will give you a step of no more than 8mm (hardly noticeable :lol:).

Good luck,

Daz

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Please help re tiling prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone please give me some advice. I have an old bathroom and I want to turn it into a...
Replies
Views
Hi All So around 10 years ago (i had no idea it was that long ago until i looked up the order...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Please help re tiling prep
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.