Guest viewing is limited

Discuss please help the newbie.e.e.e.e.e.e.e who hasnt slept all night worring about this job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dick turpin

Hi all, I have a job to start on wed but have a few questions.

Bathroom 450*450 porcelain wall tiles 25m2
450*450 porcelain floor tiles 7m2
Tumbled marble mosaic shower floor 2m2

1. There is no fall in the shower for the floor, how best to create one? Customer has put down concrete.....very level

2. The customer has put 12mm ply in the shower area, but covered it in pva, can i now put an apd or recommended primer onto the pva?

3. should i do te floor or the walls first, customer wants floor tiles to come up the wal as a skirting, so i would presume the floor first,

4. a rough idea as to how much adhesive and grout would be, bearing in mind the marble will need inpregnating and sealing.

Another tiler ( time served) has given him a quote £600, he said he can do it in 2-3 days, being a newbie it would take me about 2 weeks (lol) as i havnt layed any tiles of this size before. any tips for setting out?

I know the customer so he wants to give me the job i just want to get it done properly.

Should i get on the nearest bus going in the opposite direction.

Any help or advise would be gratefully received.

If any one can get to cambridge on wed morn that would be even better:)

G

GazTech

Re: please help the newbie.e.e.e.e.e.e.e who hasnt slept all night worring about this

Hi all, I have a job to start on wed but have a few questions.

Bathroom 450*450 porcelain wall tiles 25m2
450*450 porcelain floor tiles 7m2
Tumbled marble mosaic shower floor 2m2

1. There is no fall in the shower for the floor, how best to create one? Customer has put down concrete.....very level

2. The customer has put 12mm ply in the shower area, but covered it in pva, can i now put an apd or recommended primer onto the pva?

3. should i do te floor or the walls first, customer wants floor tiles to come up the wal as a skirting, so i would presume the floor first,

4. a rough idea as to how much adhesive and grout would be, bearing in mind the marble will need inpregnating and sealing.

Another tiler ( time served) has given him a quote £600, he said he can do it in 2-3 days, being a newbie it would take me about 2 weeks (lol) as i havnt layed any tiles of this size before. any tips for setting out?

I know the customer so he wants to give me the job i just want to get it done properly.

Should i get on the nearest bus going in the opposite direction.

Any help or advise would be gratefully received.

If any one can get to cambridge on wed morn that would be even better:)
the shower would be better tanked out...primed in apd.large tiles require cement based adhesive like bal rapid flex.As for the floor..put 6mm backerboard down on the floor up to the shower base this wil give your mosaics a fall........sorry but I dont' do prices......welcome to the forums by the way and good luck....Gaz

S

simonb43

if a time served tiler can fit 32m2 of porcelain and 2m2 of mosaics for £600, and do it in 2-3 days, then he must be bloody good. Another cheap estimate, the customer will only get what they pay for !!! Sick of hearing about silly prices. Porcelain estimate from me would be around 22.50 per m2 and mosiacs about 30 per m2, so my estimate would be around £780. Thats an honest quote. Don't do it on the cheap !!:confused:

D

DHTiling

Wedi do a number of flat shower trays that will sit straight onto that floor creating the perfect falls etc......dave..

There are several configurations of rectangular walk-in shower bases available (below and right). All are 40mm thick at the perimeter edges.

fobl90sm.jpg

fobl120_1sm.jpg

fobl120_3sm.jpg
fobl150_11sm.jpg
foffset1sm.jpg

foff100100.jpg

fquad90sm.jpg

fobl1sm.jpg

foblong180sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

Also if its not possible to install one of them trays due to height increasement then you could install 9mm backer boards on the floor to gain a bit of height up to where you want the falls to start, then form your own falls towards the drain using this product from bal .......
BAL Quickset Cement
quick_set.jpg

Specially formulated cement for the preparation of rapid-hardening low shrinkage mortars to be used as screeds or renderings in interior, exterior and underwater locations. BAL QUICKSET CEMENT is sulphate resistant and ideal for use in wet areas including showers and swimming pools. Screeds are ready to receive foot traffic after 3 hours and ceramic tiles may be fixed after 24 hours. After 24 hours, the strength of BAL QUICKSET CEMENT screeds exceeds the level normally attained by conventional cement:sand screeds after 28 days.

..........dave..

D

dick turpin

thanks for your input guys,

i thought your price of £780 was spot on simon, thats what i had in mind,

What baffles me is the fact that people are preperd to spend thousands of pounds on there new bathrooms ( this job £5000) but want to spend cheap money for a first class job????

I did suggest a tanking system and the guy wanted that in the price to......Mad

Thanks for pics of the shower bases dave, but the guy has already concreted the shower base and put the drains and Chrome cover on.......Not much room left. Would have to feather down to the drain.

Think i should get on the first bus going the oposite way......:shades_smile:

F

Fekin

Aye, £600 for 34 sqm of tiling even if you were using basic ceramics and that only works out at £17.64 per sqm ?!?!, never mind they want 450*450 porcelain and mosaics, jeezzzzz :confused:

I know it would be £600 in your pocket and not someone elses, but that is takin the p!ss in my view.
I guess it all depends on how badly you want to do this job, and the experiance you'd gain from it.
----
I have the job dave, trouble is re: simons post the price aint right and they aint preperd to spend any more, £600. for a start they have pva on the shower wall and do not want to spend any more on a tanking system....power shower, large tiles......sounds like trouble.

i have to ring the guy later so i will tell him my concerns....up to him then

Didn't know about that bit.

With a pva'ed wall, large tiles and won't spend anymore on prep work, then I'd be tempted to walk away from it if the customer isn't going to allow you to do the job how you felt right with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to please help the newbie.e.e.e.e.e.e.e who hasnt slept all night worring about this job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
This is my first time posting, I searched for a similar thread and didn't find much- apologies...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
please help the newbie.e.e.e.e.e.e.e who hasnt slept all night worring about this job
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.