Discuss Please help with Rubi Bridge Saw DW200N in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mache

Hi All , could really do with some help on the above bridge saw. This was a second hand purchase and the machine is all in good nick, unfortunately I am now coming to use it and I am having problems with the blade running off when on a cut.
I can run the carriage full length of the slide way against a straight edge with no problem, put a laser on the blade and it doesn't run out on the whole run. Put a cut on the blade and after 150 to 200 mm of run then the blade starts to run off to the right by a noticable amount. It's actually a slight curve that is developing. To give you an idea how much, the blade actually came into contact with the steel frame running down the centre. I have to put a lot of pressure on the bridge and carriage to make this happen without a tile in place, so I am happy that it's not an issue with loose play in the set up.

I am cutting 10mm thick porcelain, I've not changed the blade and don't know how to gauge if a blade is worn out or not.
Could it be the blade do you think.

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks Martin.

M

mache

Hi All, thanks for the input. I can confirm that the water cooling is running fine plenty of flow with that.
I've have just been out and checked to see of possibly the motor head axis was running out in relation to the carriage way, but clamping a 600mm straight edge to the blade and running the full length shows only about 12 thou' run out (thats 0.3mm for the young ones) and I don't think thats bad for an aluminium carriage and nylon rollers.

Will go for new blade as suggested. Any recommendations on type of blade, I'm guessing that the porcelain continuous rimsound like a likely candidate :)

Checked out that other thread... sounds worrying but I'll not get disheartened on my purchase until I've proved it's not the blade

C

Concrete guy

200mm x 25.4mm will fit this machine. Continuous rim is the way to go on these machines I'm not sure the spindle fitting allows a thick blade (reinforced turbo flange blade) to be fitted.

I used to run one one of these when I was tiling years ago (the similar version back then) and it used to suffer a similar problem of running out of true.

After a while I figured out out it was sensitive to the amount of pressure applied to it during cutting.

As the blade is on one side of the motor, if too much pressure is applied the axle on which the blade runs flexes by a tiny amount, half a degree or so, but it's enough to set it off running slightly out.

A new blade disguises this slightly as the improved cutting speed overcomes some of the resistance and reduces the run out. Ultimately you have to cut a little slower to overcome the design flaw. A new blade does help though.

M

mache

ATS thanks for the input, sounds like a new blade will help over come the big run out issue but that I might still get some runout, although if it was cutting pressure related on the spindle I would have expected the blade to deflect left rather than right. However reallity often isn't always like that.
Just took the old blade out and sure enough it's marked up as a Rubi general purpose.... silly me I should have checked before I started.

I have no idea how long a blade is expected to last in hard porcelain. I'm guessing i've got about 70 cuts to make at the full 600 mm tile length and then corner cutting etc at 300mm width that's about another 100 off. I'm wondering if I should go for 2 blades ??? hopefully you won't suggest more but if it's recommended then I'll go for it.
Thanks again , Martin.

200mm x 25.4mm will fit this machine. Continuous rim is the way to go on these machines I'm not sure the spindle fitting allows a thick blade (reinforced turbo flange blade) to be fitted.

I used to run one one of these when I was tiling years ago (the similar version back then) and it used to suffer a similar problem of running out of true.

After a while I figured out out it was sensitive to the amount of pressure applied to it during cutting.

As the blade is on one side of the motor, if too much pressure is applied the axle on which the blade runs flexes by a tiny amount, half a degree or so, but it's enough to set it off running slightly out.

A new blade disguises this slightly as the improved cutting speed overcomes some of the resistance and reduces the run out. Ultimately you have to cut a little slower to overcome the design flaw. A new blade does help though.

C

Concrete guy

ATS thanks for the input, sounds like a new blade will help over come the big run out issue but that I might still get some runout, although if it was cutting pressure related on the spindle I would have expected the blade to deflect left rather than right. However reallity often isn't always like that.
Just took the old blade out and sure enough it's marked up as a Rubi general purpose.... silly me I should have checked before I started.

I have no idea how long a blade is expected to last in hard porcelain. I'm guessing i've got about 70 cuts to make at the full 600 mm tile length and then corner cutting etc at 300mm width that's about another 100 off. I'm wondering if I should go for 2 blades ??? hopefully you won't suggest more but if it's recommended then I'll go for it.
Thanks again , Martin.

Running out right against the pressure is odd. That's a little counter intuitive. Is there any carriage adjustment on these newer models?

These blades are pretty long lasting on water fed cutters, one should be fine.

M

mache

Tell me about it, I checked all sorts trying to figure it out. Carriage alignment, carriage twist, free play, leveled up fully and nothing I could find to be out enough through it off to the extent it was drifting.

Anyway, just placed order on your website so will look forward to receiving blade. Many thanks for your input and I will be sure to let you know how I get on.

Best Regards

Martin.

Running out right against the pressure is odd. That's a little counter intuitive. Is there any carriage adjustment on these newer models?

These blades are pretty long lasting on water fed cutters, one should be fine.

M

mache

Hi Rookery, no problem asking and I had considered a dry rail cutter, but had also read that some of these struggle with the porcelain tiles. At around the same time I came across a thread where a member had a rail cutter for sale, and thought OK it's a bit of an expensive investment, not as quick as dry cutting, but thought well I might be able to sell it on after my own, and my step daughters bathroom projects are finished, so decided to take that step. Cutting time is not so much of an issue as it's just my own work and not a paying client.

Two hours into trying to figure out the problem I was having and I was thinking...why didn't I just go for normal score and snap !!!

Will post how I get on when the new blade arrives. If it still causing problems then I guess I'll be getting into the Rubi/Sigma which is best debates :8:

Sorry to ask the obvious but wouldn't it be quicker to use a dry rail cutter?

M

mache

Update for you.
PCR blade arrived today from ATS. Mounted up and confirmed machine was level and I can say the difference is remarkable. Could immediately feel the blade was cutting much better and can confirm that no run off at all. Much relieved, especially after reading those threads were people never managed to sort there run out issues.

Thanks to all those the pointed straight to the blade being the most likely cause and recommending ATS, and thanks to ATS for prompt order handling and despatch, and not forgetting the very reasonable price as well.

Now off to spend a few hours tiling and cutting.

Regards
Martin.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Please help with Rubi Bridge Saw DW200N in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Can I ask advice please; I have MS and the worry is making me ill. The tiles are all chipped...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Im a DIYer doing a lot of work on an old house we are f restoring. I have put down a...
Replies
Views
A
Hi all, relatively new to tiling but I’m giving it a good go! I’m having major probs with my...
Replies
Views
Andrew Smith
A
Hi guys, its my first post on there though have been gaining useful tips for a while so thanks...
Replies
Views
S
I recently had a downstairs bedroom extension with en-suite built for my elderly parents as they...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

Tilers Forums on FB