Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Please Help !!!!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

davy_G

Where is the debonding occuring? Is is along specific lines, like at the edges of the ply sheeets? Or at the boundary from one floor type to another, or into a new extension.

If so it could be settlement or movement of the building, inwhich case movement or expansion joints should/could have been fitted? What area of tiles is involved as there should be expansion joints regularly added.

I did a bathroom floor in an old house, plyed with 12mm exterior. 2 years on after a wet summer and no heat on in the house and then the heat on in the autumn the old beams moved and caused the whole floor to drop. :yikes:Tiles cracked where two ply sheets met.
All fixed with Ardex addy. Took a day to cut out the grout, lift the tiles, remove the addy from the ply (that took the longest). Insert an expansion joint and retile and grout. It worked as no more problems but if id thought and inserted it in the first place i wouldnt have the slightly smaller cut tile against the expansion joint. I did the work for free, although the woman of the house was happy to pay if i wanted.

andy-p

TF
Arms
Thanks for the replies, if my memory serves me correctly the tiler was a bit of a stickler to the rules, i not only got the living room floor done but got my hallway floor done as well, if 18mm ply had been put down i would not have been able to open my front door as this would have brought my existing floor up 35mm and too high for the door, i remember the tiler taking about a day to glue and screw down my floorboards as they were a bit of a mess and lay the plywood screwed at 6" Centres the top and sides were sealed with Bal Bond, he used a 10mm Serator when laying the floor, can someone tell me after 17 months of no problems whatsoever why is this happening now, it always seems an easy excuse saying ply to thin as this reason is sited on many sites from 6mm to 9mm but 12mm ply, i mean who can really buid there floor up by an additional 35mm
I would have used a 16 or 20mm trowel on tiles that size , though i dont know if this caused the problem..

U

user123

something not right here

10mm serrator................how many clients know what size notch your using

My thoughts exactly, even before the serrator question came up....Guest, I read through all the posts, what an astounding memory on what was used and how after how many months?.... ....sounds to me as if you had done this job yourself and are now wondering what went wrong? :whistling:

Last edited by a moderator:
Somerset
I understand the value of having a forum where anyone can post a query about tiling, and get lots of informed advice, but...

- anyone can log on anonymously as a guest

- with such anonymity they can state, challenge, and argue without recourse

- and without pictures, we have to assume that the query written is accurate

Noble, maybe. But this post seems to be tying everyone up in knots, and I agree with the suspicions aired - could it be the poster tiled this themselves, and is distorting the information about how this was done "professionally" and should never have gone wrong?

Perhaps this "guest" posting status needs to be revisited?

T

TheTiler

Sounds like movement in the floor. Likely to be expansion in the hot summer months we've had drying out your timber substrate. Did he leave 5-6mm expansion gaps (filled using silicone NOT grout) around the perimeter of the floor and use an expansion strip over necessary lengths in the floor area? Very important to do this when using large format tiles on timber (I've seen it go wrong in one of my jobs, and I've learned from it).

U

Unregistered

The answer.....

A 2-Part flexible adhesives should be used when fixing 600x600mm Porcelain onto timber. The mass size and limited amount of porosity on a 600x600mm Porcelain means you need a chemical bond (single part adhesive) rather than a mecanical bond (where the adhesive soaks into the back of the tile).

Always remember -

Single Part is good enough for a single solution (either 600x600mm onto cement, or max 400x400mm onto timber)

Two Part is good enough for Two solutions (600x600mm onto timber)

Reply to Please Help !!!!!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
Hey everyone. Hope you are well. I want to learn how to tile and do a fairly basic bit of...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Join The Tile Association and Get Noticed Some time ago joining The Tile Association may have...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Please Help !!!!!!!
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Thread Tags

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.