Discuss Ply with no expansion joint photos... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The D

i think we all know my opinion on this subject. The use of ply is sometimes a necessity but the use of it as a sub-straight to tile directly on to should be as bad as using PVA as a primer. i am sick to the back teeth of this attitude from tilers and adhesive manufacturers that it is OK to do it. Yes the adhesive will stick the tile to the wood and Yes the adhesive is flexible enough to cope with some movement so is the grout but the tile is not and when it all goes wrong and there is a crack in the tile but the tile is still stuck to the floor the adhesive manufactures will wash there hands of it and you will be the one footing the bill.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
England
Ply on walls is a no no for me, done once never again many years ago:thumbsdown:

i know exactly what you mean, i tiled 3 bathrooms in a house,each bathroom was 35m2,tiled with 300x 300 quartz tiles,the joiner plylined 1 of them,he said he always ply lines before tiling,its much stronger,stops doors going through the walls when slammed back ect:yikes:.
i told the owner i will board the other 2 out and over board the one that was plyed(i was plastering the house anyhow,it was huge,the kitchen was bigger than my house itself:lol:),he let me do the other 2,but said it cost him enough to ply it out,and the joiner said it would be fine,so,it would be fine.:mad2:
when he moved in,heating on ect,the ply lined one started popping off,he was not happy,the other 2 are solid,he was fine with me,but he aint spoke to the joiner since,and they drink in same pub:lol:

Reply to Ply with no expansion joint photos... in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, Looking for some advice regarding tiling over expansion joints in floor screed. I’m getting...
Replies
Views
Hi all I’m so glad to have stumbled upon this forum, which seems to be a treasure trove of...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views
Hi all So my tiler laid 125m2 and in the doorways and across the living room floor left the...
Replies
Views
Can I trouble some experts in here for some advice on laying pavers on a concrete pool surround...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Ply with no expansion joint photos...
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.