UK Tiling Forum for UK Tile Advice

Comply with UK Tiling Standards and Research Tiling on your UK Tiling Forum. The tiling community that provides free wall and floor tile fixing advice to the United Kingdom.

Discuss Plywood over floorboards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

The tiles are 200x400. The floor is quite small. About 4 square metres. The whole job is 13 metres square. All walls are solid brick. So do i dot and dab aqua board onto those?

I would lift the old floorboards, 2 reasons, 1) so as to be able to add extra noggins to stop any deflection ( bounce ) 2) to keep the overall finished floor height to a minimum. Once the old boards are up and nogins in, 15 - 18mm wbp ply, fixed at 300mm centres, prime the underside and side edges of the ply before fixing, do this with an SBR primer, your local supplier will know. Then fix your backerboards down with a decent flexi adhesive.

R

Rich

Sorry, I may not have been clear in the thread that I linked to, the backer boards are for over boarding and are not suitable for fixing straight onto the joists. The heights are irrelevant, you need to get floor suitable for tiling and removing the floor boards and replacing with min 15mm wbp ply and over boarding with 6mm backers would be the best way of doing that. If the floor boards are in good nick (no rot or damage then you could over board straight over these as long as you could fix them down so that they were bounce free.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Lincolnshire
Your mimimum tile backerboard overlay on T&G boards or chipboard / plywood would be 10mm, standard flexi adhesives offer no guarantee if any less.

10mm eeeeek!!! 15mm should be minimum for ply shouldnt it and chip board is not good for tiling........

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Plywood over floorboards in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi guys. Im a carpenter who has tiled a fair few floors over the years as i fit a lot of...
Replies
Views
450 x 450 porcelain tiles were laid on the bathroom floor recently. One of the tile sometimes...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

TF Group Please Join

Thread Information

Title
Plywood over floorboards
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Tilers Forums on FB

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.