Discuss polished Porcelain tiles 60cm x 6ocm in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

breadwinner

Hi guys

I am new to the forum and a DIY enthusiast rather than a tradesman. I have some 60cm x 60cm white polished Porcelain tiles made in China by Monet/Cotto cost approx £50 per sqm. I was advised that these tiles do not need sealing by the tile company I bought them from but having reviewed some of the posting on the tile forum I'm wondering whether to seal would still be worthwhile? If I did seal with something like LTP could it damage the tile in any way and should I seal the whole tile or just the glazed surface?

Also could anyone recommend whether it be beneficial to prime a concrete floor or add any latex to the Mapei cement based adhesives Keraquick that I'm using in order to make it more flexible and deal with any unevenness and increase bonding?

The floor had vinyl tiles down and I'm still scrapping the glue off (very slowly).

Finally, would a vitrex versatile power 500 wet saw purchased from B+Q cope with these kinds of tiles?

Any advice much appreciated.

D

Deleted member 1779

Tiles: If the tile company stated they do not need sealing then your tiles are fine. You've paid £50psm and there are tiles out there cheap and porous (B&Q £10psm) so don't confuse the need to prepare your tiles in the same way as porous tiles.

What would happen if you did? Not much!

Equipment: 600's are quite a wide tile for overhead radial cutters so your choice is good. And as mentioned above its not the machine, its the blade. Go for a quality diamond blade for better life, neater cuts.

The power of the motor is your most likely weak point so go slowly and dont rush the tile through the blade or your motor will groan. As long as the machine is spinning at good revs and most importantly dumping water on the work in progress then you are doing the right things.
knees.jpg

This is a 600 being cut on a similar saw. (Remember yours will be twice as long as this 300): Please also remember to wear safety googles

And finally (here comes the advert bit) We produce commercial diamond drills and have a value for money pack. It works out at £7.15 per drill and they are specifically designed for porcelain.

kit2.jpg

Professional quality drills - value for money
br3a.jpg

A

Alpha Omega

Hi Breadwinner,

Yes, Prime first, it will slow the "sucking" of the SLC and help it flow more.
My experience has only been with Bal, and would reccomend the Multibase, just mix as per the instructions, if possible mix and pour all you will need in one hit rather than build up in layers

Don't over do it though + or - 3mm over a 2 mtr span is plenty good enough, also the odd big hole will fill nicely with the adhesive.

I would sand the surface with a good rubbing blockand get rid of the high spots before turning to SLC

Good luck.

Regards
Gary

B

breadwinner

Hi Breadwinner,

Should also have mentioned to use a spiked roller to help spread the SLC.

I am unsure of the area you are doing, but if you have to purchase the correct tools etc, may be cheaper and easier for you to get an expert in to do the job ?, while you sit back with a beer. :8:

about 7.5 m total so not giant by any means

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to polished Porcelain tiles 60cm x 6ocm in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
Hello Tilers! I am a homeowner in California and I thought I'd come say hi in search of a...
Replies
Views
hats67 - Yesterday at 11:48 PM Add bookmark #1 Hello guys. I came upon and registered with...
Replies
Views
Hello guys. I came upon and registered with this forum while doing some research on decoupling...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
polished Porcelain tiles 60cm x 6ocm
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.