Discuss porcelain 60cm by 60cm trouble laying and cutting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bangs_18

hi, i am new here, i am no tiler to say the least.

i have decided to lay some black porcelain in the hall way and kitcen. the kitchen is concrete and the hallway is floor boards.

for the hallway i have brought some 6mm ply and was going to put the tiles on top. i have picked up a bag of flexi adhesive which says for all tiles is this sufficient?

i hav a floor adhesive which has passed its sell by date which i got for free. cement based floor adhesive will this do, i will try get details of it. i am sure it says it does granite..if that helps?

also what will i need to cut the tiles as they are 60 by 60 too big for an 40cm wet cutter? i was offered a manual one whic cts 60cm from floors to go for 25 quid which was the last in stock and was dusty. not sure if it was capable so left it?

please help regards

jon

R

Rich

I have to agree with the guys above. Send Dave a private message and let him know what area you are in. He will put you in touch with one of the experts on here so you know you will be getting a good job.

At the very least I would get a few quotes, you never know it might be less money than you think to get it done properly with the right materials so that you can have a floor that will stay down and stay looking great for as long as you want it to.

B

bangs_18

hi many thanks for the replies. this is a great forum with great members.

the adhesive was a freebe so i just picked it up. i was told as its cement based all that would happen is it would set quicker??
but, you guys saying that i will get shot of it.

i have been told i NEED porcelain adhesive, specifically for a porcelain tile?
also been told i can use this special flexi adhesive costing 40 quid a bag ben reduced to me from 50 which doesnt need any boarding on the floor boards?

all in all priced me up for 4 flexi porcelain adhesives, 1 mega flexi, grout, tile cutter manual to cut 60 by 60. all for £150... i also need a sealer for the tiles.

i have considered a tiler, been priced around 600 for labour and adhesive etc, i just felt the difference being 450 is alot. I understand the quality of finish is no measure, but, tight for cash.

will the tile cutter i described be sufficient, its the one tiles to go sell?

i am in 2 minds of doing it myself or get a pro in as the kitchen is not 100 level its quite a bish bosh!

to give you an idea of my headache:

the hallway runs into the old kitchen around 2.5 by 2, then opens into the extension kitchen which is 5 by 3.8, this extension is the breadth of the house which also opens into the lounge. the floor was level in the extension but only to the old kitchen level. The lounge was 1.5 inches higher, so if i tilled as that i would have been left with a lip. i have now cemented over to meet the lounge and try to even this out in the kitchen which already has exsisting kitchen in that i have to work around.

i hope this makes sense,

jon

Attachments

• kitchen.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 59

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi bangs,yes you will need an adhesive suitable for porcelain

in regards to a bagged one that doesnt require over boarding the floor please never use it
your floorboards will need boarded over

polished porcelain needs to be laid pan flat otherwisse it will look awful,cheap cutters will not cope either so your not saving 450 pounds the sensible route on this occasion is to get a tiler in imo

T

tfs

I know some manufacturers say there addys can go straight over floor boards but in reality this is not done mate.

The guy was wrong when he said the addy will just just set faster it may not bond correctly and could fail.

Yes you need a good flexable adhesive I could recommend kerraquick or keraflex.

You realy want to get both floors as flat as possible before laying this tiles as they are the worst when fitting over floors with minor descrepancies in terms of flatness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your best bet is to take up the floorboards and replace with 18mm wbp ply, as well as strengthening the joists if needed, there really is far more to your job than just sticking the tiles down, look around the forum, there are some huge threads where we have guided people, it can be done BUT, it's gonna be quicker, not cheaper, in the long run, and you know the job is going to be right, as said, get someone approved by admin to quote.

Reply to porcelain 60cm by 60cm trouble laying and cutting in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

I need advice on score and snap cutting of large porcelain tiles, lets say, over 1000 mm long...
Replies
Views
Hi. Hoping you al. Can help me. I have an issue where I had a bathroom built and a shower...
Replies
Views
Hello you Pro’s out there. I am embarking on replacing my current outdoor patio concrete slabs...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
I've recently bought Johnson 'Orkney Stone' ceramic floor tiles from B&Q. Paid to have them...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
porcelain 60cm by 60cm trouble laying and cutting
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.