Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Porcelain Shower Enclosure Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BEGBIE

Hi all.
Looking for advice from ones who know!

Before thinking about forums, I have partially completed a bathroom installation from scratch (dormer/loft conversion).

I have created a shower enclosure using 600x300 Porcelain Tiles with a 4mm spacer, as the tiles (Wall & Floor) are inteded to run on from each other.
I have undertaken simliar DIY jobs with no problems.
Against all the advice I have now read (after tiling) I used a Unibond Dry Mix and Liquid Additive, going slightly over on the addy to ensure best adhesion.

I am happy with the Job, and all seems seriously firm.

NOW, I wish to redeem myself using the best Grout I can, and take the Dry Mix Unibond I bought back. (having now joined the Tiliers Wolf Pack!)

So Big Porcelain Tiles x 4mm Grout Line x Shower Enclosure x Good Ventilation x Non-Power Shower -== What Make/Type of grout do I use to ensure best result ? i.e Water Resistance/Proofing.

It would be white ( by the way! )

Thanks In Advance.

Steve.

B

BEGBIE

HI again all, thanks for the advice.
I took the drive to the nearest Topps (35+ miles away) and returned with BAL superflex.

Shower now grouted, and it has dried as hard as nails. :hurray:.. only thing was it was Patchy. Its a GREY, with light and dark. I did a search of similar issues. While I hope not to be jumping the gun, the following occurred FYI:

Its a slog getting ALL the residue off the tiles. After 3 "wipes" still leaves a grey smear, but getting better. The Patchy bit, when wiping the grout face all at the same time, appears to now have dried in unison, leaving very little patchy.. bizarre?

Today I bought Mepei? Sealant, to try and match the Grey BAL as I forgot at the time, and to save another 70 mile round trip. -- SILVER Mepei sealant is NOT the same, wayy lighter.. If this helps anyone -:thumbsdown:

To assist me further:

1. Is the BAL grey sealant as GREY as the grout when dry ? Is there a better ALT ?
2. Do I honestly have to wait 2 weeks to use non-power shower ?
3. About to do floor onto brand new 22mm chip-board flooring, what is the min depth of Ply to tile onto ?
4. What is the best Tile cleaner that wont degrade my new grout to get this sodding residue off?

Many Thanks in advance !

SD

Reply to Porcelain Shower Enclosure Grout in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Subscribe to Tilers Forums

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all , it’s been years since last posted for advice and your methods . My question is this ...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just wondering what the general consensus is with grout for a shower. I have epoxy grouted...
Replies
Views
After annoying the guys in my local CTD for about an hour looking at samples and agonising on...
Replies
Views
Hi all, My 1st post and just wanting some help/reassurance on a DIY bathroom refurb. I’m...
Replies
Views
A question about mitering and matching epoxy colour I'll be working with some pinkish matt...
Replies
Views

Trending UK Tiling Threads

UK Tiling Forum Popular

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Thread Information

Title
Porcelain Shower Enclosure Grout
Prefix
N/A
Forum
UK Tiling Forum
Start date
Last reply date
Replies

Which tile adhesive brand did you use most this year?

• Palace

• Kerakoll

• Ardex

• Mapei

• Ultra Tile

• BAL

• Wedi

• Benfer

• Tilemaster

• Weber

• Other (any other brand not listed)

• Nicobond

• Norcros

Results are only viewable after voting.

Birthdays

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside. Our UK based online tiling forum has 48,000 members and started out in 2006.